"Playa Samara, quiet time on the beach" Top 5 Page for this destination Sámara by Tom_In_Madison
Sámara Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 172 photos
Samara is a small town, about 4-5 hours from San Jose. The ‘touristy’ part consists of about 5 streets right now. It’s a beach town, so it’s made up of 3 surf shops, a few souvenir shops/market salesmen, restaurants and bars. A grocery store a couple of banks and a few other buildings. You can walk thru the whole thing in about 15 minutes. If quiet and solitude is what you are looking for this is it.
Activities are surfing and water sports, obviously. You can walk (45 minutes) to Playa Carillo down the road, or take a taxi($8), it’s a big almost deserted beach that’s actually a bit nicer than Samara. Instead of a plaza, they have a big field that once was a soccer/futbol field.
Interbus (and probably Grayline) goes to and from here, as does Sansa Airlines from the dirt landing strip down the road in Playa Carillo. The ‘airport terminal’ consists of a couple of pieces of corrugated metal along the roadside.
- Pros:quiet, nice beach
- In a nutshell:might be a bit too small for some, might be perfect though too
Samara beach is nice, but Playa carrillo is just as nice, maybe better, and a lot less crowded. It's a 45 minute walk,... more travel advice
A soda, serving typical Costa Rican food. Fast and inexpensive. Lots of seating, open air dining. Located on Main St,... more travel advice
Tom_In_Madison's Related Pages
Sámara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Playa Samara, quiet time on the beach"
- "Safe, pretty, calm Samara Beach"
- "Samara undiscoverd Guanacaste"
- "A nice mix of locals and visitors"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sámara
- Hotels in Sámara
- Transportation in Sámara
- Nightlife in Sámara
- Restaurants in Sámara
- Shopping in Sámara
- Warnings and Dangers in Sámara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sámara
- 9 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Sámara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sámara
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madison Intro, 58 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 11 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- San José Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 9 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monteverde Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos
- New York City Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 8 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 4 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues