Mauritania Things to Do Tips by pfsmalo Top 5 Page for this destination
Mauritania Things to Do: 59 reviews and 133 photos
This is the 2nd time I've been down to the beach in the late afternoon, and it's still fascinating.
Backlit girl on the beach.
Sit on the sand, watch the people and the beautiful sunset.
Boat back on the beach.
Around 5 in the evening take the 5 km drive out to the port, where you get to see the fishing boats coming back in with their catch, watch them dragging the boats back up onto the sand, have a nice walk along the beach and also catch a fine sunset (around 18.15). Just off the beach is a market area where you can buy the fish, have it gutted, cleaned and wrapped to take away.
Directions: About 5 km out from the centre of town. About 400 UM for a taxi and easy enough to get one back to town.
Colourful street clothes.
Nouakchott is a very highly congested town, plenty of dust and a pall of haze hangs around the centre. Not far from the Menata is the Saoudian mosque, very nice but of course non-muslims are not allowed in. Another 200 metres sees you in the main market area. Plenty of fun just walking around and looking. If it's jewellery you're looking for it's in a small area downstairs underground. Ask anyone to show you.
A friendly smile at Cap Cansado.
This is the first major town that you hit coming from Morocco and I can't say it's got a lot going for it. Judging by the time you get through the border you could mess it out altogether. Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh but there are very few things to see or do here. The only thing really is the road towards Cap Blanc and then you have to pass the refinery and the phosphates terminal. At Cap Cansado there is the surprising sight of the rusted hulks of the "boat cemetery". Near here is the terminus for the longest train in the world that brings the phosphates from Zouerate in the n.w. of Mauritania.
More Reviews (16)
- See All Kiffa - Better than some.
- See All Nouakchott to El Ayoun - "Route de...
- Nouakchott - If you need a beer!!!!!
pfsmalo's Related Pages
Mauritania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mauritania - The Land of the Moors"
- "Looking for Gaia"
- "Salaam! Yakhe Lebass!"
- "My trip to Mauritania"
- "danielperals's new Mauritania Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mauritania
- Hotels in Mauritania
- Transportation in Mauritania
- Nightlife in Mauritania
- Restaurants in Mauritania
- Shopping in Mauritania
- Warnings and Dangers in Mauritania
- See All...
Explore the World
- Vicksburg National Military Park Hotels
- Lowestoft Hotels
- Dixon Hotels
- Cauayan Hotels
- La Tranche-sur-Mer
- Morano Calabro
Badges & Stats in Mauritania
- 21 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Mauritania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mauritania
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 336 reviews, 1336 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 57 reviews, 242 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 44 reviews, 193 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 35 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 9 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 24 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 24 reviews, 121 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 111 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 4 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (69)
Top Mauritania hotels
- Nouakchott Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 103 Photos
- Nouadhibou Hotels
- 89 Reviews - 150 Photos
- Rosso Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 24 Photos
- Fderik Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Chinguetti Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 64 Photos
- Bir Moghrein Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 79 Photos
- Atar Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 66 Photos
- Akjoujt Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 27 Photos