"African highlight" Top 5 Page for this destination Mali by pfsmalo
Mali Travel Guide: 1,007 reviews and 2,874 photos
This is really my favourite place in West Africa. Gentle people, some very good scenery and cheap!!!
Everywhere you go you can find smiles like this little girl's.
You'll find here and there photos of some of the girls that are in units run by the Abbot Michel Gaudiche of the Catholic mission in Badalabougou. These units have 6 girls each, mainly orphans, with one girl elected "chief", all between 18 to 25 y.o. To try for an ethnic unity between the girls there at least 4, if not 5 different ethnic groups in each unit. Each girl has 1 day to do the chores of cooking and cleaning. This is feasible as they have split days at school. I spent a week in these units helping out by giving a lick of paint on the walls. The girls also have to give up some of their spare time time to help out teaching in the poor school in Sabalibougou, a poor quarter of Bamako.
This is the same little girl, as, above 7 years on. (See tip on Kalabougou).
Whether it be Bamako, Mopti or Segou, the sun setting is a sight to see, although my favourite sunset has to be Segou.
- Pros:Extra-friendly people
- Cons:Don't know any, except perhaps for those that do not speak french
- In a nutshell:Brilliant
We were lucky enough to come back from Djenné by the ferry late morning and caught this local village music and dance... more travel advice
Halfway between Bandiagara and Sangha you start to see green fields alongside the dusty laterite road. This is the... more travel advice
pfsmalo's Related Pages
Mali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "African highlight"
- "MALI: AN AMAZING COUNTRY"
- "Difficult, Wearying but Rewarding"
- "MALI - I left my heart there......"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mali
- Hotels in Mali
- Transportation in Mali
- Nightlife in Mali
- Restaurants in Mali
- Shopping in Mali
- Warnings and Dangers in Mali
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mali
- 57 Reviews
- 242 Photos
- 40 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to Mali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mali
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 387 reviews, 1473 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 57 reviews, 242 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 44 reviews, 193 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krabi Intro, 35 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 9 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 28 reviews, 141 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 24 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Trinidad Intro, 25 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mauritius Intro, 24 reviews, 121 photos, 1 travelogue