"Burkina Faso" Top 5 Page for this destination Burkina Faso by pfsmalo

Burkina Faso Travel Guide: 339 reviews and 1,844 photos

Another friendly "francophone" country

It took me a good while to get round to visiting Burkina Faso but finally made it. Everything that people say about the place is true. Lively, funny people: more worried that all is o.k. with you than thinking about their own desperate situation. Burkina Faso is, like Mali, one of the 10 poorest nations in the world. When we say poorest ,this only means the PNB, because culturally BF is up there with the best in Africa.

Be prepared for anything!!!

Whilst in Loropeni, my guide asked me if I minded taking the Gaoua museum guide back with us to Gaoua, as we were headed that way. Certainly I replied, no problem. When I saw with what she got into the car!!!!! When you see my Gaoua pages you will see what became of one of them.

Meet the people.

The Lobi, Gans and Gourounsi are as well known for their cultures as the Dogons in Mali. Very difficult to be able to see close up apart from the Gourounsi in Tiebelé, where it can even be a bit over the top. But a good guide will change all that and explain the meaning of the different signs painted on the walls.

• Last visit to Burkina Faso: Feb 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 8, 2007

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM

A wonderful insight Paul..I would love to meet Yvonne one day lol.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Bonjour Paul, bonne nouvelle annee a vous... Karl

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2011 at 5:34 AM

What an interesting trip you made! Seems you got a good guide in Ablo, and good you could stop to talk to the women in Sideradougou.

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I'd love to hear about some of the foods you ate here.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2010 at 5:36 AM

Great that you noticed that green field near the village of Sideradougou and stopped to see that successful local women's initiative. And it's great that you had such a competent and friendly guide for five days.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Great page Paul!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Wow... a less travelled country. Amazing write up. Enjoyed getting to know this sub-Saharan country more.

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2008 at 3:53 AM

Hi, Great pages - I really want to go there! Love the smiling faces on the portraits travelogue.

• marcobel's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2007 at 8:44 AM

i traveled Bur. Faso and your descriptions and pics are great. thanks to share your views with the community.

• mad4travel's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2007 at 10:30 AM

Your people portraits are excellent. I've only just started taking pictures of people as I've been more into landscapes

pfsmalo Visits Here Frequently!

pfsmalo

“"I've spent all me money on whisky and beer!!" ”

Badges & Stats in Burkina Faso

Have you been to Burkina Faso?

Latest Activity in Burkina Faso