"Athenry, Co. Galway." Athenry by pfsmalo
Athenry Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 40 photos
Lying just off the the M6 motorway from Galway to Dublin is Athenry, most famously known for the song "The fields of Athenry", written in 1979 but recorded by some of Irelands most famous bands and singers, notably Christy Moore and the Dubliners. Founded and expanded in the late 12th c by the Normans, although the history of Athenry leads on from the 6th c, it was around 1240 Meyler of Bermingham built the fine sturdy looking castle, and has left the town some of the best medieval walls left in Ireland surrounding the inner town, part of which has still standing the "North Gate"**. It also houses the "Market Cross", the only one of its type in the country. Athenry, of course supports the Galway hurlers who were taking part in the All-Ireland final the following day, notive the bordeaux and white bunting in the churchyard in the 1st pic.
** I didn't photgraph the gate as there was some renovation work going on plus roadworks in front of the gate made it virtually impossible to get a decent view.
A short walk from the Priory is Market square where stands this unique 15th c monument, deemed a "cross" as it depicts... more travel advice
pfsmalo's Related Pages
Athenry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I promise not to sing"
- "Athenry, Co. Galway."
- "'The Fields of Athenry..............."
- "Ath na ri"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Athenry
- Hotels in Athenry
- Transportation in Athenry
- Nightlife in Athenry
- Restaurants in Athenry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Athenry
- 3 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (72)
Have you been to Athenry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Athenry
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 337 reviews, 1337 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 57 reviews, 242 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 44 reviews, 193 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 35 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 9 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 24 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 24 reviews, 121 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 111 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 4 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue