"Kinvarra" Kinvarra by pfsmalo
Kinvarra Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 20 photos
Although a pretty little village, situated halfway between Ballyvaughan and the eastern tip og Galway Bay, the only real thing of note in Kinvarra is the Dunguaire castle. Sitting on a spit of land the castle was built in 1520 by the O'Hynes clan from Galway. Taken over by the Martyn family in the 1600's, Richard Martyn lived here when he was Mayor of Galway, the castle stayed in the family hands for over 350 years.
Acquired by surgeon and poet Oliver St. John Gogarty in 1924, he established a meeting place here for other poets such as Yeats and Bernard Shaw, after much renovation. The castle once again changed hands in 1954, Lady Ampthill completing the renovation work.
Much later it was acquired by the Shannon Heritage Developement group who have since opened the castle and grounds to the public. The gates actually swung shut just as we arrived at 17.00, as preparations for the medieval banquet take priority.
pfsmalo's Related Pages
Kinvarra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I always loved this place"
- "Pretty little village on the edge of the Burren..."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kinvarra
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Kinvarra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kinvarra
Photos in KinvarraSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 367 reviews, 1473 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 57 reviews, 242 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 44 reviews, 193 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 35 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 9 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 24 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 24 reviews, 121 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 111 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 20 reviews, 95 photos