"Sneem, Co. Kerry." Sneem by pfsmalo
Sneem Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 54 photos
Sneem is another of the small villages on the N70, part of the Ring of Kerry tour, situated on a small bay. Most of the shops and pubs are laid out round two triangles of grass one each side of the famous Sneem bridge. Apparently the Gaelic name for Sneem - An tSnaidhm - means The Knot and the bridge is the centre of this knot. The village is also known as one of France's presidents, General Charle de Gaulle, favourite haunts when he came to Kerry on numerous occasions, as the monument on the North Green attests. Another well known local wrestler, Steve "Crusher" Casey has his statue on the South Green. This man was also a rowing champion and qualified with his three brothers for the 1936 Olympics. They were disqualified from rowing at the Games because Steve and brother Paddy had wrestled professionally beforehand. Colourful shops abound on both greens plus the music shop Hickeys, where traditionnal music floats over the village all day.
All in all a pleasant place to while away a couple of hours.
Perhaps the most well-known pub in Sneem is Dan Murphy's, made famous in song, with the great stone still sitting outside the front door.
"Those days in our hearts we will cherish,
Contented although we were poor,
And the songs that were sung
In the days we were young,
On the stone outside Dan Murphy's door."
This song was written by a Clare minstrel called Johnny Patterson, albeit about a house in Ennis where he passed part of his young years. For his story follow the link below.
Sneem has two churches, and yes you've guessed it, one on each side of the bridge. This one is the Church of Ireland one built in 1810. This was the first time that I'd seen a salmon used as a weathervane. Check out the photo!!
This is without a doubt tribute to the stream rushing under the bridge, renowned for its salmon runs.
On the way round the Ring there are some lovely views out to sea at Hogs Head and along the Dingle Bay at Rossbehy... more travel advice
Walk down alongside St Michaels church towards the river and you'll come across this strange assortment of pyramidical... more travel advice
pfsmalo's Related Pages
Sneem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mixing with the Sneemenians"
- "Sneem, Co. Kerry."
- "River, and Rocks under the Bridge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sneem
- Transportation in Sneem
- Nightlife in Sneem
- Restaurants in Sneem
- Shopping in Sneem
- Warnings and Dangers in Sneem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sneem
- 5 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Sneem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sneem
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 387 reviews, 1473 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 57 reviews, 242 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 44 reviews, 193 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krabi Intro, 35 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 9 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 28 reviews, 141 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 24 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Trinidad Intro, 25 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mauritius Intro, 24 reviews, 121 photos, 1 travelogue