"Bonifacio." Bonifacio by pfsmalo
Bonifacio Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 119 photos
Bonifacio has to be THE place to visit in Corsica. Not only for the views across to Sardinia but just strolling the streets with its unique atmosphere of "olde worlde". This is one citadel that you can visit except for parts of the old military zone. But the summum is the vista of the town when either out on the sea or if you take the hike out to the military semaphore at Pertusato. Sublime, and the thought "How do those houses stay up there".
Historically there have been Romans here around 300 B.C, and even out above the cliffs signs of a pre-neolithic presence has been found. But the main town was founded by the Pisan count Boniface in 83 AD mainly to protect the straits between here and Sardinia.
Of course there is the usual link to Napoleon here also, with a plaque on the house where he stayed in 1793 for a couple of months and where he also escaped from an attempted assassination.
The old town is well worth the visit but it is a bit strenuous to get there, up the Montée Saint Roch, or it is also possible to take the little tourist train.
There is really only one island where you can land as the others are mainly just a pile of rocks sticking out of the... more travel advice
A few kms out from Bonifacio, on the road to Sartene and Ajaccio is this splendid isolated site. Proof of habitation has... more travel advice
pfsmalo's Related Pages
Bonifacio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gorgeous Island"
- "Bonifacio, Corsica"
- "Two glorious weeks"
- "Bonifacio - Corse"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bonifacio
- Hotels in Bonifacio
- Transportation in Bonifacio
- Restaurants in Bonifacio
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bonifacio
- 7 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Bonifacio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bonifacio
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 367 reviews, 1473 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 57 reviews, 242 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 44 reviews, 193 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 35 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 9 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 24 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 24 reviews, 121 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 111 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 20 reviews, 95 photos