"Corte." Corte by pfsmalo
Corte Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 40 photos
Corte quickly became my favourite town (apart from Bonifacio) in Corsica. I loved the atmosphere on Gaffory square, sitting nursing a couple of beers in the late afternoon whilst waiting for the restaurants to open. Out of season it was quite easy to park up near the citadel, but can imagine it wouldn't be like that in July/August.
A medieval town, it shows in its buildings and streets. Some of the buildings are crumbling and a lot look as if they have never been rendered, but it all adds to the character. Unfortunately for us the citadel closed at 17h00 so were unable to walk around up in the birds-nest.
Place Gaffory is named for the polititian Jean-Pierre, born here in 1703. Named protector of Corsica in 1745 he then managed to evict the Genoans from the citadel. Named general of the Nation, two years later to be assassinated here in his home town.
The café here on the photo was featured in the film "Les Randonneurs", the story of hikers walking the famed GR 20.
Looking at the wall here you may ask "what are all those holes". They are indeed bullet holes. I enquired whilst at the café and was told >> Here in Corsica it is accepted that the loser at an election has to be vilified, and so friends of the winner come out and fire shots at the losers house!!!!<< Of course they are not supposed to shoot the loser but I was told during the 15 mins that the shooting lasts he keeps his head well down. I'm afraid that in Corsica legend sometimes gets mixed up with truth, but nice story anyway.
We made a quick decision to go to Aleria when rain made us put off a hike we had planned for that day. Unfortunately we... more travel advice
pfsmalo's Related Pages
Corte Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CORTE under construction"
- "An old city in Corsica"
- "Corte - Corsica"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Corte
- 3 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Corte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corte
Photos in CorteSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 337 reviews, 1337 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 57 reviews, 242 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 44 reviews, 193 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 35 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 9 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 24 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 24 reviews, 121 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 111 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 4 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue