"Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate." Top 5 Page for this destination Paris by pfsmalo
Paris Travel Guide: 22,584 reviews and 55,347 photos
Having first come to Paris in October 1970, I moved from London in March 1971. Stayed just 18 months, during which time I married, and went back to London. We then decided to come back in May 1975 and have stayed in France ever since, albeit since 1980 in St. Malo.
My love/hate relationship with Paris has been an ongoing thing since those early days. Driving a taxi in Paris is no easy thing and I hated the place for it's traffic, noise and Parisian attitudes. Over the years a fondness for the streets of Paris has developed, a thing that I can't say about London anymore. Although Paris has been re-developed since the 70's there are still pockets of urban life as it was back then. The great thing about Paris is its manageable size. If you get tired walking, you're never that far from a metro station. And walking is the way to see Paris, keeping your nose off the floor (the Paris town hall doesn't allow dogs to s**t anymore) and being aware of your surroundings.
** - Words spoken by Arletty, taken from the 1938 film "Hotel du Nord", directed by Marcel Carné.
Having so many friends around Paris means that you won't find much in the way of hotel reviews here. Having so many friends also means that I don't have to eat out that often but you will find a few restaurants reviews, although now, since I wrote that, in 2012 a couple have now gone on their last journey, so you may now see the odd review for a hotel or restaurant. I am not a museum buff and not an art gallery person so you may not find much in that direction either. I also believe that there are enough tips by Vters like Beatchick, Guyon, Shrimp56, my friend Nemorino and others of the main Paris sights, that I don't feel the need to include them myself, although there may be one or two tips that do include photos of these places.
I certainly do not profess to know all of Paris or discovered all its little passages and courtyards, but if you are looking for the pretty side, the little known, the out of the way, the oddity, then you may find a photo here somewhere. I am trying to organise things by arrondissement to make things a little easier to find them on foot. There is no better way of seeing Paris, just use the bus or metro for the longer distances or getting home. If you prefer a bicycle to walking, I can only reiterate the tips by my friend Don (Nemorino) for cycling around Paris are top of the class and are to be read.
I would like to dedicate these pages to my wife and my father in law (RIP), who first took me to those parts of Paris (Belleville, Menilmontant, Charonne and Croulebarbe) where tourists don't seem to go much, and where the real heart of Paris is. Also to Patrice, who was my first friend in Paris in 1970, and stayed my very best friend until he passed away in May 2010.
I must also say that I have been inspired by many of the VT'ers here that have written about Paris. Thanks also to the following in helping plan my routes.
www.parislenezenlair.fr (also good for historical facts and some great anecdotes.)
Leonard Pitt for his book "Walks through the lost Paris".
Editors "Parigramme" for a fine series of books about the lesser known Paris.
Robert Doisneau, Willy Ronis and Gerard Lavalette for being human before being great photographers of Paris.
And lastly to Vt'er Elodie-Caroline for telling me I could write as well as take photographs.
- Pros:So many things to see and do!!
- Cons:Traffic can be a pain in the a***
- In a nutshell:There's always something new to see.
Arriving at the Gare de Lyon late in the evening, trying to find a reasonable place for the night, finally found this... more travel advice
While most people hate the sight of it, most choose to ignore, but it's there and it does have at least one good thing... more travel advice
pfsmalo's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 337 Reviews
- 1,340 Photos
- 1,133 Forum posts
- 41 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
- Posted in Travel Arles Forum "Re: Have you flown Air..."
- Commented on one of pfsmalo's Paris travelogues
- updated a Paris Travelogue "Form for those caught stealing your photos or tips"
- Wrote a Review Late at night with not much choice. in Paris Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Late at night with not much choice."
- Commented on the Paris Things to Do travel guide
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 337 reviews, 1337 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 57 reviews, 242 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 44 reviews, 193 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 35 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 9 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 24 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 24 reviews, 121 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 111 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 4 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue