"Roscoff - Point of entry to Brittany." Top 5 Page for this destination Roscoff by pfsmalo
Roscoff Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 190 photos
Roscoff is one of the main points of maritime entry to Brittany, used a lot by holidaymakers from the S-W of England from Plymouth and also from Cork in Ireland. Founded as early as the 5th century, it suffered from English attacks during the 100 year war. Witness to a visit by Mary Stuart in 1548, when only 6 y.o. the town became independent of St. Pol de Leon shortly after.
Around town can be seen carvings showing the maritime history of the town and also can be seen evidence of some of Roscoffs most famous sons, the "Johnnies". In the early 1800's Roscovites began to make the journey across the Channel to sell their famous "pink" onions. Frequently taking adolescent children with them, these kids, many of whom were named Yann, Breton for Jean or John in English, became known as "Little John or Johnny", giving the plural of "Johnnies". These onions were part of the local vegetables, along with artichokes and potatoes that first gave Brittany Ferries their start in cross-channel ferries.
A nice walk to be had along the port and around by the church with it's fabulous belfry. There are two parts to the port in Roscoff, the old part for leisure boats and the deep-water side for the cross-channel ferries and fishing fleet. There is also a shuttle service over to the Isle of Batz.
The church at Roscoff, "Notre Dame de Croas-Batz" primarily of Gothic design, was begun around 1520 and only finished in... more travel advice
pfsmalo's Related Pages
Roscoff Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Gateway To Brittany (Revisited)"
- "Roscoff in June"
- "Roscoff - more than a just a Ferry Port!"
- "Roscoff - Point of entry to Brittany."
- "Roscoff - a little gem"
- "ROSCOFF - Day Trip"
- "The sea the boats and the ferry"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Roscoff
- Hotels in Roscoff
- Transportation in Roscoff
- Nightlife in Roscoff
- Restaurants in Roscoff
- Shopping in Roscoff
- Warnings and Dangers in Roscoff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roscoff
- 3 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 22 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Roscoff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roscoff
Photos in RoscoffSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 387 reviews, 1473 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 57 reviews, 242 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 44 reviews, 193 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krabi Intro, 35 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 9 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 28 reviews, 141 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 24 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Trinidad Intro, 25 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mauritius Intro, 24 reviews, 121 photos, 1 travelogue