"HCMC or Saigon." Ho Chi Minh City by pfsmalo

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Guide: 3,131 reviews and 7,263 photos

Much more cosmopolitan than Hanoi or the other smaller cities, there is nonetheless a laid back feel to HCMC. Quite easy to walk around unless you want to go to Cholon but quite a few of the sights are quite close together. There are of course all the usual street sights such as this vendor anywhere you look.

Interaction with people.

This woman tried to sell me a ticket for a cruise on the Saigon river when I was close by. After 10 mins. of banter I told her I was leaving that afternoon, so no problem she says," do you want to take my photo ?". So I took a couple of shots and she walked away quite content. Me too !!

This was another chance meeting on a side street where the lady was sitting outside her house and I just walked up and asked politely if I could take her photo. I was very surprised when she said yes as quite a lot of the older people are reticent about photos.

• Last visit to Ho Chi Minh City: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 22, 2007

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Thanks for the little reminder..I was a little awestruck during my time here..my arrival point into Vietnam and not really quite sure of myself being there.LOVE your photos!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I used to love Saigon when I was in the army because I could go there whenever I had a couple days off and stroll around in civilian clothes. Instead of a weapon I demonstratively carried a copy of Le Monde and pretended to be a civilized person again.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Nice photos. HCMC looks like a bustling place!

pfsmalo

“Well I'm standing next to a mountain......Voodoo Chile - (Slight Return)... Jimi Hendrix”

Badges & Stats in Ho Chi Minh City

Have you been to Ho Chi Minh City?