"St. Suliac." Saint-Suliac by pfsmalo
Saint-Suliac Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 60 photos
Consistently voted in as one of the loveliest villages in France, St. Suliac lives up to its reputation. Sitting on the Rance river about 15 kms from St. Malo, it owes its heritage to the many fishermen who lived here and manned the original trawlers that fished cod around Newfoundland in the late 19th/early 20th century. St. Suliac itself is now cut off from the sea by the Tidal dam built in the '60's.
Founded in the 6th century by a Welsh prince named Suliau or Tysilio, the village changed and settled for its new name Suliac but did not enlarge before the 10th century when Normans (or Vikings) came up the river and settled here. The village church was built in the 13th century and some of the houses on the slopes of the hill just below the church are dated 13th and 14th century. Today the village has a wonderful situation facing west over the river, but still only has 950 habitants. Can be a hectic time trying to park in the summer, but if you're not afraid to walk a bit, there are plenty of spots not far out.
From the village centre, there are many trails that lead away, notably up to Mont Garrot, one of the highest points in the county and the other way to the "Grainfollet Virgin", an oratory where sailors came to give prayers before leaving for Newfoundland.
From the other side of the Mont Garrot, at low tide, can be seen the grass ramparts of the old Viking village, although without a guide to point things out, one cannot see a lot.
Music being an integral part of the Breton culture, much room is made for musicians of all types during this type of... more travel advice
The first weekend of August is the annual St. Suliac : 100 years ago festival over 2 days. Many of the village's... more travel advice
pfsmalo's Related Pages
Saint-Suliac Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Saint-Suliac
- 8 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (72)
Have you been to Saint-Suliac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Suliac
Photos in Saint-SuliacSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 337 reviews, 1337 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 57 reviews, 242 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 44 reviews, 193 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 35 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 9 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 24 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 24 reviews, 121 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 111 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 4 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue