"Welcome to my pages." pfsmalo's Profile
Thank you, one and all for taking the time to visit. Here's hoping that some of my tips or photos may inspire you to visit some of the marvellous places I have been to over the last few years. If anyone would like to use any of my photos, for any reason whatsoever, please send a mail asking permission first, detailing the reason, and there should be no problem. Thank You.
When travelling, although I do enjoy the wonders nature gives us, and also certain man-made buildings, I really light up when I can meet the children. The kids generally always react to a camera, but it feels so good when I am off the beaten track in a village and you get a smile "hallo" from the local kids. This is why you'll find lots of photos of different children in my pages.
The real pleasure in travelling, for me, is in meeting the people. Walking through a village or town and catching a smile from someone that's pleased to see you, not trying to take you for a ride or sell you something, just happy to pass the time of day, grateful that you're participating in THEIR day.
Wherever we travel we can see nature at work, as this is a permanent on-going thing. The wind,rain, ice and sun have all helped to mould many of the splendors around us.
Although I think many of today's modern buildings could give a lot of work to the demolition men, we have at times come up with some wonderful, dare I say it, almost works of art.
We all have our favourite moments on the road, but one I really enjoyed, was the Cambodian train between Battambang and Pursat. A top speed of around 17 kph. allowed you to get off, have a short walk then sprint to catch up with the last wagon. Only joking, but that's what it seemed like. Very friendly atmosphere, although not many people on board. We stopped almost at every village so travellers could say hallo to relatives, buy something to eat or drink or just the engine overheating.
My really special place is hidden away at Toroweap point on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. After dragging through the 120 kms. from St. George over gravel, dirt and water and finding a spot where no-one seems to have ever been was really special. Obviously I'm not the only one that has ever been there, but arriving there that morning there was nobody!! I sat on the rim for over an hour just listening to the silence and from time to time the Colorado far beneath, before doing my tourist thing and taking a few photos. Very, very special.
As this is my homepage, I thought I'd better include something about St. Malo, my home town. Our town is of course, well known for the transatlantic races that start or finish here, almost as much as the old walled town built by Vauban in the 17th. century. These races occur every 4 years. This photo is of the boats 2 days before the start of the St. Malo to Pointe-a-Pitre race last autumn.
Useful info - This is a copy of a form made out by one of VT's staff that can help you if you find anyone one the 'net stealing your photos or tips. It did work once for me, just change the wording around as necessary. Link here :
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
“Well I'm standing next to a mountain......Voodoo Chile - (Slight Return)... Jimi Hendrix”
- Member Rank:
- 0 0 1 8 0
- Forum Rank:
- 0 0 0 2 6
- Real Name
- La Gouesnière, France
- Member Since
- May 27, 2005
- 1,376 Reviews
- 6,509 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats
- 1,374 Reviews
- 6,500 Photos
- 21 Countries
- 145 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- created a Luang Prabang Travel Page "Luang Prabang, PDR Lao."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Luang Prabang, PDR Lao."
- Wrote a Review Wat Ho Phra Keo, Vientiane. in Vientiane Things to Do
- Commented on one of pfsmalo's Vientiane tips
- Commented on the Paris travel guide
- pfsmalo and Greggor58 are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "Welcome to my pages."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 337 reviews, 1337 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 57 reviews, 242 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 44 reviews, 193 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 35 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 9 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 24 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 24 reviews, 121 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 111 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 4 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue