"Welcome to my pages." pfsmalo's Profile

Thanks.

Thank you, one and all for taking the time to visit. Here's hoping that some of my tips or photos may inspire you to visit some of the marvellous places I have been to over the last few years. If anyone would like to use any of my photos, for any reason whatsoever, please send a mail asking permission first, detailing the reason, and there should be no problem. Thank You.

Children.

When travelling, although I do enjoy the wonders nature gives us, and also certain man-made buildings, I really light up when I can meet the children. The kids generally always react to a camera, but it feels so good when I am off the beaten track in a village and you get a smile "hallo" from the local kids. This is why you'll find lots of photos of different children in my pages.

People.

The real pleasure in travelling, for me, is in meeting the people. Walking through a village or town and catching a smile from someone that's pleased to see you, not trying to take you for a ride or sell you something, just happy to pass the time of day, grateful that you're participating in THEIR day.

Nature's work.

Wherever we travel we can see nature at work, as this is a permanent on-going thing. The wind,rain, ice and sun have all helped to mould many of the splendors around us.

Man as well.

Although I think many of today's modern buildings could give a lot of work to the demolition men, we have at times come up with some wonderful, dare I say it, almost works of art.

Transport

We all have our favourite moments on the road, but one I really enjoyed, was the Cambodian train between Battambang and Pursat. A top speed of around 17 kph. allowed you to get off, have a short walk then sprint to catch up with the last wagon. Only joking, but that's what it seemed like. Very friendly atmosphere, although not many people on board. We stopped almost at every village so travellers could say hallo to relatives, buy something to eat or drink or just the engine overheating.

Favourite place.

My really special place is hidden away at Toroweap point on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. After dragging through the 120 kms. from St. George over gravel, dirt and water and finding a spot where no-one seems to have ever been was really special. Obviously I'm not the only one that has ever been there, but arriving there that morning there was nobody!! I sat on the rim for over an hour just listening to the silence and from time to time the Colorado far beneath, before doing my tourist thing and taking a few photos. Very, very special.

Hometown - Bassin Vauban, St. Malo.

As this is my homepage, I thought I'd better include something about St. Malo, my home town. Our town is of course, well known for the transatlantic races that start or finish here, almost as much as the old walled town built by Vauban in the 17th. century. These races occur every 4 years. This photo is of the boats 2 days before the start of the St. Malo to Pointe-a-Pitre race last autumn.

Useful info - This is a copy of a form made out by one of VT's staff that can help you if you find anyone one the 'net stealing your photos or tips. It did work once for me, just change the wording around as necessary. Link here :

• Intro Updated Jan 1, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
pfsmalo's Profile Photo

pfsmalo

“Well I'm standing next to a mountain......Voodoo Chile - (Slight Return)... Jimi Hendrix”

Real Name