"Welcome to my pages." pfsmalo's Profile

Thanks.

Thank you, one and all for taking the time to visit. Here's hoping that some of my tips or photos may inspire you to visit some of the marvellous places I have been to over the last few years. If anyone would like to use any of my photos, for any reason whatsoever, please send a mail asking permission first, detailing the reason, and there should be no problem. Thank You.

Children.

When travelling, although I do enjoy the wonders nature gives us, and also certain man-made buildings, I really light up when I can meet the children. The kids generally always react to a camera, but it feels so good when I am off the beaten track in a village and you get a smile "hallo" from the local kids. This is why you'll find lots of photos of different children in my pages.

People.

The real pleasure in travelling, for me, is in meeting the people. Walking through a village or town and catching a smile from someone that's pleased to see you, not trying to take you for a ride or sell you something, just happy to pass the time of day, grateful that you're participating in THEIR day.

Nature's work.

Wherever we travel we can see nature at work, as this is a permanent on-going thing. The wind,rain, ice and sun have all helped to mould many of the splendors around us.

Man as well.

Although I think many of today's modern buildings could give a lot of work to the demolition men, we have at times come up with some wonderful, dare I say it, almost works of art.

Transport

We all have our favourite moments on the road, but one I really enjoyed, was the Cambodian train between Battambang and Pursat. A top speed of around 17 kph. allowed you to get off, have a short walk then sprint to catch up with the last wagon. Only joking, but that's what it seemed like. Very friendly atmosphere, although not many people on board. We stopped almost at every village so travellers could say hallo to relatives, buy something to eat or drink or just the engine overheating.

Favourite place.

My really special place is hidden away at Toroweap point on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. After dragging through the 120 kms. from St. George over gravel, dirt and water and finding a spot where no-one seems to have ever been was really special. Obviously I'm not the only one that has ever been there, but arriving there that morning there was nobody!! I sat on the rim for over an hour just listening to the silence and from time to time the Colorado far beneath, before doing my tourist thing and taking a few photos. Very, very special.

Hometown - Bassin Vauban, St. Malo.

As this is my homepage, I thought I'd better include something about St. Malo, my home town. Our town is of course, well known for the transatlantic races that start or finish here, almost as much as the old walled town built by Vauban in the 17th. century. These races occur every 4 years. This photo is of the boats 2 days before the start of the St. Malo to Pointe-a-Pitre race last autumn.

Useful info - This is a copy of a form made out by one of VT's staff that can help you if you find anyone one the 'net stealing your photos or tips. It did work once for me, just change the wording around as necessary. Link here :

• Intro Updated Jan 1, 2014

• jojes's Profile Photo
    8 hours ago

Hi Paul. Merry Christmas and all the best for a new year filled with lots of travels!

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Yesterday

Oops I missed your birthday! My best delayed wishes and Merry Christmas!

Yesterday

No problem Carmen and thanks. Best wishes for all the family in this festive season.

• nizash22's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2014 at 11:35 PM

happy birthday wishes to u my friend, wishing many happy returns of the day, with love and reagrds from saudi arabia

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Hope you had a great day. Sorry for the late congrats but we have been away for a couple of days

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Belated birthday greets Paul.....was just taking a quick peek at your intro page....we missed the"Battambang and Pursat" train....but it must have been a hoot!@ Enjoying a sunny but cool day here today...Hope you enjoyed a nice birthday! :o)

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Yes, there's a picture of me on it. I'll put it in PM as I can't reply in "comments" with a photo. Great fun.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Give the little one a big kiss from France for me then, lovely to have little 'uns running about the place

• alza's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Salut Paul, Ahhh too bad I logged in after the carriage turned back into a pumpkin... missed your birthday. Hope you had a good meal & that you'll enjoy today as well. Here's wishing you wonderful days on the road this year. De lou à Montréal, sous un crachin glacial.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Exactement comme ici Lou, merci quand meme, c'est gentille.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Hope it was happy Paul. All the very best for the next year.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:45 AM

Thanks Kate, all the best to you too for the festive season and a happy travelling New Year.

• HackneyBird's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Happy Birthday, me ol' china! Have a good one! ;-)

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Thanks Shaz, just back from the caff as it happens.

• stevemt's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Happy b'day Paul, have a ball :)

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Hiya Steve mate, thanks a lot. Still hoping our paths will cross again one day.

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Wishing You A Very Happy Birthday Paul - Enjoy!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
pfsmalo's Profile Photo

pfsmalo

“"I've spent all me money on whisky and beer!!" ”

Real Name