"In the Golden Triangle" Kengtung by WStat
Kengtung Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 148 photos
Since the 13th century, Kengtung has been the largest City in Shan State with an area of 1200 square miles, and remains so at present in the eastern Shan State of Myanmar. Lying between two famous rivers, the Mekhong and the Salween, Kengtung is a series of mountain ranges running north and south, and of an average height of 5000 feet, with peaks rising to above 7000.Close to Thailand and China, Kengtung has many relationships to those countries.
The princes of Kengtung were pious Buddhists;the Tai of Kengtung have developed a culture of their own distinct from their Tai relatives elsewhere. They came to be known as Tai-Khun or Khun (after the river Khun situated outside the city), and culturally shared many common features with Sibsongpanna and Lanna.Tai-Khuns or Gon Shans are descendants from the yellow complexioned tribes. Tai-Khuns are also related not only to the Tai Lon, Tai Lue, Tai Noi, and Tai Loi that settled in Myanmar territory but also to the Lanna Shan, Tai Noi or Thais in Thailand and Laotians in Lao.
At Kengtung the water buffalo market is held in an empty field outside town 2-3 times a week. You'll have to take a... more travel advice
Visit Ho Kyin village with Akha tribes, still wearing traditional costumes with silver coils. If an Akhar woman wants to... more travel advice
WStat's Related Pages
Kengtung Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kengtung~my trip on a cloudy and rainy time"
- "In the Golden Triangle"
- "Buddhist, Simple and almost Thai"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kengtung
- Hotels in Kengtung
- Transportation in Kengtung
- Nightlife in Kengtung
- Restaurants in Kengtung
- Shopping in Kengtung
- Warnings and Dangers in Kengtung
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kengtung
- 6 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Kengtung?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kengtung
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 51 reviews, 85 photos
- Seoul Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 16 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beruwala Intro, 15 reviews, 30 photos
- Kyongju Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentota Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos
- Sydney Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos