Monywa Things to Do Tips by WStat
Monywa Things to Do: 3 reviews and 10 photos
Pho-Win Daung caves
After a short ride from Monywa southwestwards one crosses the Chindwin
River by boat. From there, after passing the S&K copper-mine, a drive of about 45 minutes leads up to a small village in the Hpo Win Hills, where the caves are situated. The caves contain Buddhist statues,
wood carvings and murals dating to the 17th and 18th centuries
Crowning the top of Powin hill are a complex of 3 temples curved out of volcanic rocks. One looks like a cathedral curved out of rock, while the other two are cave temples housing Buddha images in seated and reclining positions as well as wood-carvings and murals
Address: Hpo Win Hills near Monywa
About 20 kms southeast of Monywa the relatively new Thanboddhay-Pagoda is to be seen. It was buildt between 1939 and 1952 and resembles the outer shape of the worldfamous Borobudur-Temple.
It contains more than half a million of Buddha-statues, pictures and stuccos and offers great photographic opportunities !
About 4 kms distant there is the "Bodhi-Tataung", a small forest with 1000 Banyan-trees: infront of each a Buddha-statue is placed.
Address: 20 kms southeast of the city of Monywa
The Reclining Buddha of Alantayar
A few kms from Monywa and after a 20minutes drive,famous Alantayar Pagoda can be found; it is the site of the largest reclining Buddha image in all of South East Asia. The sculpture is about 600 feet long.
The view over the plane with its nearly hundreds of pagodas and Buddha-statues is most beautiful at sunset.
Address: Alantayar, 20 minutes east of Monywa
More Reviews (1)
WStat's Related Pages
Monywa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buddhas in the plain, in caves and everywhere"
- "Miss pancake town...,"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Papua New Guinea
- Kampong Salak Tinggi Hotels
- Ensley Center Hotels
- Pinamalayan Hotels
- Praia de Esmoriz Hotels
Badges & Stats in Monywa
- 4 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Monywa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monywa
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 51 reviews, 85 photos
- Seoul Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 16 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beruwala Intro, 15 reviews, 30 photos
- Kyongju Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentota Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos
- Sydney Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos