"About Me" pacnwgirl's Profile

East Coast to West Coast

I grew up in Lake Wales, a small town in Florida. I always knew that I would leave that little ol' town. My desire to travel, see more of the country started early when our family would take annual trips to Naperville, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. My mom grew up there and we would visit once or twice a year, this was essentially the extent of my travels growing up. Nontheless, on my first trip to the city we went to Wrigley Field for a Cubs game and I was hooked I wanted to see more. I fell in love with Chicago and all that a "big city" has to offer. The fast pace, the culture, diversity, and all the possibilities.

After graduating from FSU (Go 'Noles), I decided to move to Seattle, WA. I was armed with a Business Degree, confidence (probably a little too much of that), and an adventurous spirit. After a little research, rented a moving truck and traveled cross-country for one month. My parents were a little freaked out but eventually came around. The trip was quite an adventure! I was a little nervous about all the logical things, living in a new city, job prospects, etc. but I knew if I didn't take advantage of this opportunity, I would regret it for the rest of my life.

The Great Northwest

The moment I arrived, I fell in love with Western Washington. I was amazed at the lush, green environment that existed not only in the rural mountain areas but within all the major cities, even Seattle. The mild climate was a relief compared to the hot, humid Forida climate I was used to. I lived in Bellevue, WA for about six mos, downtown Seattle for six years, and now Bainbridge Island for almost two years. I thoroughly enjoyed living in the city, walking distance to all the local coffee shops, the waterfront, shopping district, etc. I even enjoyed taking the bus everyday to work. I liked the feeling of community on the bus, everyone on the bus had the same goal to get to where they were going. The feeling of humanity, that we're all really the same despite the different paths we lead in life.

My experience in Seattle, allowed me to grow both professionally and personally. I worked for an ad agency for 3+ years as an account manager and established a small network of friends most of whom I work with or had in the past. On the weekends, I explored the Puget Sound and found that I loved being outdoors. I had never really been hiking before or really spent time truly outside in the elements. I grew to really appreciate our environment and how we as humans are connected to it. I didn't really develop my appreciation for nature and wildlife until moving here. And, what I've found most interesting about this area, everyone who lives here for the most part feels the same way. There's a passion that exists with northwesterners to be stewards of our environment, to do all we can to leave as little of a footprint on the land as possible.

My Significant Other & Travel Partner

I met Scott, my fiance', about three years after having moved to Seattle through a mutual friend. We were both in previous relationships and became friends for about a year before we started dating. We've been engaged since Sept 2004 and are planning a Florida wedding for May 2006. We're in the process of planning our European honeymoon... we haven't decided on the all the cities we want to visit just yet but London, Paris, and Florence are on the short list.

Scott and I have so much in common, we both equally love traveling & most of all spending time outdoors. We love hiking, skiing, kayaking, cycling, anything that will give us the opportunity to get out of town and outdoors.

I knew he was the one after he committed to running a full marathon with me. I love to run but he's not that into it and is not the runner type but he still wanted to do it. He was so committed and actually kept me motivated through the long, gruelling four months of training. After that, I knew if we could get through 26.2 miles together, we could get through anything!

Island Living

I moved to Bainbridge Island from Seattle in August 2003. I accepted a position at a non-profit organization on the island and could not manage the commute from Seattle to Bainbridge. So, here I am. I've adapted to life on the island by frequent trips to the city, mail-order, and by memorizing the ferry schedule.

Bainbridge Island is a unique community, very similar to the small town I grew up in but at the same time close enough to the city so as not to make you feel trapped. BI is also so close to the Olympic mountains and seaside towns that are great day trips such as Port Townsend, Quilcene and Port Gamble.

Bainbridge also has a unique downtown district along Winslow Way walking distance from the ferry terminal (Great day trip from Seattle). Winslow Way is the heart of Bainbridge, great anitque stores, restaurants, unique clothing and accessories shops, book stores, waterfront access for renting kayaks, etc. You'll learn more from my other pages so I won't go on but you get the general idea. You will not find, however, any retail chain stores such as Wal-mart, Target, Costco or even Home Depot. Or, restaurants such as Wendy's, Taco Bell or Burger King with the exception of Subway and of course, McDonalds. This gives Bainbridge its unique character and also makes shopping for staples a little challenging, but eh you adapt and make your trips into surrounding cities to satisfy those shopping needs or a craving for a soft taco supreme. ;-) But, there is a feeling about Bainbridge that I haven't experienced living anywhere else in Puget Sound. BI is a quaint, small town with a slow pace where everyone can and eventually will know your name after too long, but you can still travel 30 min. to Seattle to get lost in the city's hustle and bustle. I also recommend heading to Seattle for nightlife. The island doesn't have much in that department but you can enjoy a romantic evening out at five star restaurant and a walk along the docks with a view of the city.

• Intro Updated Oct 31, 2005

• sunlovey's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2006 at 1:15 PM

Hi Tami, how was your wedding? Did you make it down to the Keys afterwards? How is your big Europe trip coming along? So much to catch up on. And I would love to see pictures! Love, Sarah

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2005 at 10:57 AM

Tami my dear. GO NOLES indeed. : ) FSU '78 myself. My boy is at FSU now...in fact, he's one of the drum majors for the Marching Chiefs. Football season soon. Yes.

• Jul 8, 2005 at 1:08 AM

Nice narration and phtographs.

• Maximilian21's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2005 at 8:10 PM

Hey, welcome to VT, i hope you have fun on the site. Like your opening photo. Damn shame about Kerry i must add. one love

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!