"Melnik, Bulgaria" Top 5 Page for this destination Melnik by ChristinaNest
Melnik Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 217 photos
An unforgettable place, a must-see in Bulgaria, the small historic town with its museums, famous wine, and Bulgarian Revival architecture, surrounded by the Melnik Pyramids, impressive rock formations. Each step you take on the path to the Rozhen Monastery offers a new breath-taking view, created by master Nature and her paintbrush, the Wind/Erosion.
Melnik is the smallest town in Bulgaria. In the past it was an important trading centre but now it looks more like a village. On the site there has been a settlement since Thracian times, it was known to the Romans too, in the times of Emperor Trayan. Melnik became a wealthy trading centre with about 1200 houses and more than 70 churches!! Later trade declined, partly because of a disease on the vines. New there are about 100 houses left with appr. 260 inhabitants but you can still see and feel the past splendour and wealth. There are some ruins left and you can learn a lot about the history of the place in the small but interesting historical museum.
You can walk to Rozhen Monastery either along the road that goes through a small villages and then Rozhen village, or take the trail that leads directly to the monastery through the pyramids. The way I did it was to walk on the road to Rozhen, and then take the trail back to Melnik.
This is one of my favourite places in Bulgaria and like to visit it as often as I can. If you decide to add Melnik to your travel wish list, I would appreciate it if you let me know :)
- Pros:Where Culture and Nature compete
- Cons:You want to go back again and again which isn't always possible...
- In a nutshell:A short sentence about Melnik?... Are you kidding...
Climb the northern hills to experience a great panorama of Melnik and the pyramids, and wait for the sunset, you won’t... more travel advice
There are some hotels in Melnik but I've always stayed at some house where the owners rent a few rooms. It's cheaper... more travel advice
ChristinaNest's Related Pages
Melnik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Melnik, Bulgaria"
- " So much wine, so little time! "
- "MELNIK - A JEWEL IN THE PIRIN MOUNTAINS"
- "A town in the rocks"
- "Melnik Museum Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melnik
- Hotels in Melnik
- Transportation in Melnik
- Nightlife in Melnik
- Restaurants in Melnik
- Shopping in Melnik
- Warnings and Dangers in Melnik
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Melnik
- 13 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Melnik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melnik
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 48 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bulgaria Intro, 24 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belogradchik Intro, 16 reviews, 86 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burgas Intro, 18 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dominican Republic Intro, 23 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Koprivshtitsa Intro, 9 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rila Intro, 13 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Veliko Turnovo Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Plovdiv Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 12 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue