"Sofia" Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia by ChristinaNest

Sofia Travel Guide: 1,487 reviews and 3,655 photos

Spring is finally coming!

This is the view from our appartment on the 18th floor towards the Eastern end of Sofia. In the distance, Stara Planina (the Balkan mountain) can be seen. Vitosha montain is to the right (not seen on photo). Sofia Airport is in the far right. Besides planes taking off, we also see the trains going to the East, to Plovdiv, and to the sea-side. We aslo see many roads (not all leading to Rome, though). With such a view, no wonder travel is the first thing that comes to your mind while having coffee on our balcony... You can dream of being on a plane taking off or trekking in the mountains... Coming home is also nice, as we can see our 20-storey high building from the plane, on the ride hime from the airport, also from the train, coming back from Burgas at the seaside... Looking at all the planes, trains, cars, buses and trams, you hope that very soon you will be travelling in one, taking a trip to the next great place...

Things to do, places to see

There are so many places to see and things to do, more than you would expect! Some of them include:
Architecture, History and Archeology: Alexander Nevski Cathedral, National History Museum, Archeological Museum, Sofia University, Sveta Nedelya Church, the Mosque and Sinagogue nearby, the oldest Church, St. George, Boyana Church, small monasteries in the near-by villages, other churches and nice buildings....
Culture: National Gallery, Foreign Art Gallery, opera, ballet, theatre, shows, the Poet's Bench, ......check out the Snails Exibition!
Nature: Natural History Museum, Man and Earth Museum, Vitosha Mountain is a must (view my Vitosha Pages!), some nice parks, the Zoo (kind of poor, bur you can adopt an animal and help out)...........................
and so many more...
there are also a lot of good restaurants, dance clubs, bars, cafes, stores.............
I'll be building my Sofia pages soon so for more details and pics check out soon

PLEASE READ 'THINGS TO DO' IN AUTHOR'S ORDER!

• Intro Updated Aug 6, 2009

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2010 at 3:16 PM

You have a wonderful view of the mountains from your apartment. I have wanted to go here for years and still plan to get there. We have a relative who was in the Peace Corp there 3 years and loved the country and people.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Christina, excellent page with brilliant photos of your hometown. We will visit Sofia from 06.09. for a few days and I have already added the 'Pri Olite' to our list. :-)

• Pinat's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2009 at 8:14 AM

We want to drive to Bucharest from Ankara via Bulgaria one day. I hope we can make it. Nice tips on Sofia:)

• mizzzthanggg's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Great tips, Christina!! Hope this weekend works out xx

• cuppadamoksha's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2008 at 8:39 AM

Thanks Christina, My son is a lot of fun and keeps me on my toes. But since he sleeps longer now i got a chance to update my pages on Coorg finally

• kelnsha's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2008 at 6:21 AM

Wish I've the chance to ice-skate there, Christina! Envy - Kelvin, Singapore.

• Anjutka's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Zdravstvuite!:-) Very interesting page about Sofia. I have to visit it one day for sure!:-)

• Mar 21, 2008 at 8:54 AM

Lovely page

• Minstrelette's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2008 at 4:18 PM

You provide great details and advice for your city!

• monina_c's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2007 at 1:57 AM

Hello Christina! Wow! If I woke up to a view like that, every day will be special indeed! How are you?

ChristinaNest Lives Here!