"Lago Enriquillo & Isla Cabritos" Lago Enriquillo by ChristinaNest
Lago Enriquillo Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 36 photos
Nature lovers shouldn't miss this national park. Lago Enriquillo is the biggest salt lake and also the lowest point in the Carribean. It is 40m (131 feet) below sea level with an area of more than 200 square km.Its water is much more salty than sea water and the sand and everything around is white. This is the country's only habitat of crocodiles and iguanas. You can see big colonies of pink flamingoes and other birds too.
In the centre of the lake there is a small island, Isla Cabritos, which is a protected area. You can reach it by small boat. It's covered with cacti and cactus trees and you can see many iguanas too, and crocodiles in the shallow waters. There are scorpios too, but they aren't dangerous. There is a small museum where you can learn some facts about the park and its flora and fauna.
The water in the lake is so salty that it hurts a lot if it gets into your eyes. The owner of the boat who took us to the island even wore swimming goggles and we had to cover our faces with a beach-towel.
Right next to the lake is the cave Las Caritas ('The little faces') with Indian engravings more than 400 years old. On a crossread not far from the lake you can see the statue of casique Enriquillo, the Taino chieftain.
- Pros:Paradise for nature lovers
This monument is on a small cross-road on the way to the lake. This great Taino gave the name to the whole area and the... more travel advice
The American crocodile is small and not too agressive. Actually they proved rather shy so the boatman got off the boat... more travel advice
ChristinaNest's Related Pages
Lago Enriquillo Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lago Enriquillo
- 7 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Lago Enriquillo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago Enriquillo
Photos in Lago EnriquilloSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 48 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bulgaria Intro, 24 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belogradchik Intro, 16 reviews, 86 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burgas Intro, 18 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dominican Republic Intro, 23 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Koprivshtitsa Intro, 9 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rila Intro, 13 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Veliko Turnovo Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Plovdiv Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 12 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue