"Solutre" Solutré-Pouilly by ChristinaNest
Solutré-Pouilly Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 2 photos
A small village famous for the Roche de Solutre (The Rock of Solutre). It's a tall rock hill and a prehistoric burial site was found there. There were a lot of weapons (blades and points), and other important foundings.That's why Solutre gives its name to the Solutrean phase of the Paleolithic period. There is a museume at the rock.
Besides the paleolithic weapons, there were tons of horse bones found there.Supposedly the prehistoric men used the rock to hunt horses. That's how they did it: they chased the animals up the hill and all the way to the edge of the rock, from where they fell or were pushed. After that the people only had to go down to the foot of the hill and collect the dead animals. Pretty smart for prehistoric people but later studies dismiss this theory.
This area is also known for it's white wines.
You can climb the Rock and from there you can see the village of Vergisson and behind it, the Roche de Vergisson. Supposedly on a clear day you can even see Mont Blanc 150km away but unfortunately I didn't see it or didn't know which way to look.
ChristinaNest's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Solutré-Pouilly
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Solutré-Pouilly?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Solutré-Pouilly
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 48 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bulgaria Intro, 24 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belogradchik Intro, 16 reviews, 86 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burgas Intro, 18 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dominican Republic Intro, 23 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Koprivshtitsa Intro, 9 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rila Intro, 13 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Veliko Turnovo Intro, 12 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Plovdiv Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 12 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue