"Lueneburg" Top 5 Page for this destination Lüneburg by Childish
Lüneburg Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 207 photos
meaning 'I am a citizen of Lueneburg'
unfortunately it is not true, but at least I have nice memories of this city
(some historical notes)
- The first document where Lueneburg was mentioned dates from 956 (King Otto I)
- Saltworks had been in operation before the town was founded
- The town experienced prosperity at the time of Henry the Lion.
- In 1235 - the duchy (herzogtum) Braunschweig-Lueneburg was founded
- Lueneburg joined Hanseatic League (an alliance of trading guilds that owned a trade monopoly over the Baltic Sea and most of Northern Europe in the period 13-17th century) in 1371; Stecknitzkanal was built in order to transport the salt from Lueneburg to Luebeck; this is the time when the most of the buildings were erected - red-bricks arcitecture;
- time of prosperity - till Reformation in 1524
- the Reformation and religious wars paralized the salt trade.
- Lueneburg recovered thanks to the beginning of the industrialisation and the construction of the first railway line from Hamburg via Lueneburg to Uelzen and then to Lauenburg and Luebeck
- a period of great prosperity after the Franco-Prussian war(1870-1871);
- a spa centre was opened in the early 20th century
- after the WWII the population of Lueneburg increased from 30,000 before the war till 65,000 because of the refugies; the city was relative unaffected by the war.
I went to Lueneburg with train from Braunschweig. We travelled with Niedersachsenticket so we did not used IC and... more travel advice
Altes Kaufhaus is located on the north-east corner of the harber on river Ilmenau next the Old Crane and the Lueneburger... more travel advice
Childish's Related Pages
Lüneburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Luigis kleiner Preis von Lüneburg"
- "Medieval Salt Center"
- "Luneburg Germany"
- "A medieval city in the south of Hamburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lüneburg
- Hotels in Lüneburg
- Transportation in Lüneburg
- Nightlife in Lüneburg
- Restaurants in Lüneburg
- Shopping in Lüneburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lüneburg
- 15 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Lüneburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lüneburg
Photos in LüneburgSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Sofia Intro, 29 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lüneburg Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunis Intro, 16 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nesebar Intro, 17 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kazanluk Intro, 14 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kyustendil Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos
- Hannover Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goslar Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 6 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues