"Belogradchik, Bulgaria - A MUST-SEE place" Top 5 Page for this destination Belogradchik by Childish
Belogradchik Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 265 photos
These are the most impressive rock formations in Bulgaria in my opinion.
Since I can't find proper words to discribe the beauty and how I felt there here is what the French economist Jérôme-Adolphe Blanqui (known with his work History of Political Economy in Europe, a successor of Jean-Baptiste Say to the chair of political economy at the Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers) has written in his work 'Voyage en Bulgarie pendant l'année 1841' (Travels in Bulgaria (1841)):
"Neither the famous Ollioules gorges in Provence, the Pincarbo defile in Spain, the Alps, nor the most ancient mountains in Tirol and Switzerland possess anything that could be compared with what I have seen in Belogradchik.". He recomments to artists and geologists to visit this place.
(I've just read this book and I found it quite interesting.)
Located 20-25km away from Belogradchik Magurata cave is famous mostly with the paintings done by ancient humans inhabited the area. For detais, please see
my Off The Beaten Path tip.
Besides Belogradchik Rocks, Belogradchik Fortress and Magurata Cave there are other places of interest:
- History Museum - working time: 9-12, 14-17:30, closed on Saturday and Sunday - unless you have made an appoitment in advance, location: in the city centre, phone, +359 936/ 34 69,
- Museum of Natural History
- Astronomical observatory
- The Mosque 'H. Husein' built in 1751
- The Church 'St. Georgi' built in 1868
- Monastery school in the village of Rabisha
- Rabisha lake
- Chiprovtsi Monastery - (location: 4km to the northeast of the town of Chiprovtsi)
- Lopushanski Monastery - (location: in the Chiprovtsi part of the Balkan mountain) - impressive for its architecture, proportions and stone plastics
- Kozarnika Cave - (location: 3 km away from the village of Oreslets) - where the first human occupation is dated from 780.000, so that it is probably the oldest one in Europe.
- Medieval Fortress Baba Vida (location: Vidin) - - one of the well preserved medieval castles in Bulgaria
- Krastata Kazarma (Cross-Shaped Barracks)
(location: Vidin, Knjaz Boris Street I, No 26, phone: 094/ 23855), - built in 1801 for housing of the Turkish army
- Jewish Synagogue (location: near the fortress Baba Vida), built in 1894
- Mosque and Library 'Osman Pazvantoglu'
- Cathedral Church 'St. Dimitar' (location: Vidin) - the second largest church in Bulgaria after the Alexander Nevski Cathedral
- Vidin's Holy Metropolis (location: Vidin, Baba Vida Street No. 11, phone: 09424926), built in 1924
- Rakovitsa Monastery - (location: 4km north-west from the village of Rakovitsa, near Kulata, 32km from Vidin) - built in 10-11th century
- Dobridol Monastery - (location: 25km west from town of Lom, 4 km away from the village of Dobri Dol) - founded in 11th century
- Area Bojuritsa (location: 18km southwest from Vidin) - resting place
- Natural Preserve 'Chuprene' - iincluded in the UNESCO and UNO list of protected areas
- Kastra Martis (location: in the town of Kula, in the city centre) - Roman Castle built in the end of the 3rd and the beginning of the 4th century
- Ratsiaria (location: 30km east from Vidin) - an antient city, a main administrative and cultural centre in the period 1st-6th century
Belogradchik official site
- In a nutshell:My top 1 destination!
The impressive sandstone and limestone rock formations were formed 200 millions years ago thanks to erosion a located... more travel advice
on the main road to Berkovitsa in the villages you pass by there are tables in front of almost each house with the... more travel advice
Childish's Related Pages
Belogradchik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Belogradchik: escaped out of a Dali painting?"
- "Belogradchik area"
- "Belogradchik, Bulgaria - A MUST-SEE place"
- "The Rocks of Belogradchik..do you know its Legend?"
- "Quite a place..."
- "Magurata cave"
- "From Sofia to Belogradchik"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belogradchik
- Hotels in Belogradchik
- Transportation in Belogradchik
- Nightlife in Belogradchik
- Restaurants in Belogradchik
- Shopping in Belogradchik
- Warnings and Dangers in Belogradchik
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belogradchik
- 7 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Belogradchik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belogradchik
Photos in BelogradchikSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Sofia Intro, 29 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lüneburg Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunis Intro, 16 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nesebar Intro, 17 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kazanluk Intro, 14 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kyustendil Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos
- Hannover Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goslar Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 6 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues