"Blagoevgrad" Blagoevgrad by Childish
Blagoevgrad Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 51 photos
The area was inhabited because of its location - close to the mountains Rila, Vlahina and Pirin, on the banks of Bistrica river - and the mineral springs. There was a Thracian settlement around 300 BC. Later included into the Roman Empire as the town of Skaptopara. Not much is known of the town after the Slav tribes arrived in the area and the town lost its significance. Became an important town at the time of the Ottoman rule when it was inhabited mostly by muslims. The town changed its name many times - here are some of the names - Bane, Dzhuma Bazari, Dzhuma, Orta Dzhumaja, Samokovska Dzhumaja, Dupnishka Dzhumaja, Gorna Dzhumaja (I am not sure in the spelling). On May, 3rd 1950 the town is named after the Bulgarian politician and philosopher Dimitar Blagoev, the founder of the socialist movement in Bulgaria and the Bulgarian social democratic party - the first social democratic party on the Bakan peninsula.
Nowadays Blagoevgrad is famous mostly because of its two universities - South-western University and American university in Bulgaria.
The clock tower remained from the time when Bulgaria was under Ottoman Yoke. There are not many clock towers in... more travel advice
Located in the old town Varosha. Building started in 1840 and the whole Bulgarian population of Gorna Dzhumaja (that was... more travel advice
Childish's Related Pages
Blagoevgrad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria"
- "Blagoevgrad through my eyes................"
- "MZK's new Blagoevgrad Page"
- "Blagoevgrad Travel Page"
- "Love it you know... :-)"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Blagoevgrad
- 7 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Blagoevgrad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Blagoevgrad
Photos in BlagoevgradSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Sofia Intro, 29 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lüneburg Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunis Intro, 16 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nesebar Intro, 17 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kazanluk Intro, 14 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kyustendil Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos
- Hannover Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goslar Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 6 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues