"Kalzanluk - Roses, Artists and Thracian Tombs" Top 5 Page for this destination Kazanluk by Childish

Kazanluk Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 221 photos

The Valley of Roses

The area of Kazanluk was know for many years as the Valley of Roses.
There is an annual event there - every first week of the June the week of the roses is celebrated - a week full with cultural events.

Kazanluk - the City of Painters

There are several big painters who were born and/or lived in Kazanluk: Dechko Uzunov, Nenko Balkanski, Chudomir. Their houses are turned to museums and galleries. Some of their works could be seen in the local Gallery of Art too.

The Valley of the Thracian Kings

One of the Bulgaria's UNESCO site is located here - the Kazanluk tomb.
But in the last years there are many other Thracian tombs found in the area, so the latter is called the Valley of the Thracian Kings. Some of the archeological finds can be seen in the archeological museum in Kazanluk.

Information Centre
Visit the Information Centre located in the city centre, on Iskra street. They provide a guide and a map of the city for free.

Web
Information Centre - in Bulgarian, English and Japanese
A nice page in Bulgarian

A terrific page of Stara Planina

Tourists and Locals
The thing that amazed me there is the presence of the Japanese in the area. I've heard on the news a couple of years ago that Japanese rentners buy houses in the area of the village of Shipka but I did not expect to see so many of them there. And this explains why on the celebrations of the Valley of Roses there were concerts of a Japanese orchestra...
And one funny note: Although the information centre, the municipality and all people have worked to make Kazanluk (guys, thanks a lot!) more tourist-friendly city there are not many labels on the streets so I had to ask constantly for the direction. I stopped once a guy who I thought was local but surprise... he was German.... Despite the fact he gave me the direction (yeah, not in Bulgarian)

Another note:
the name of the city may be written using the Latin alphabet in two ways (at least): KazanlUk or KazanlAk

• Last visit to Kazanluk: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 8, 2006

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2007 at 5:35 AM

Thank you for many good tips. I am saving most of them for my trip to Bulgara in the Spring. I especially appreciated the links to the Tourist Info site and the Stara Planina page!

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2007 at 1:03 AM

I had never heard of Kazanluk, but now I wish I'd visit it. Your page is very informative, I especially liked the tip about trains.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2006 at 2:16 AM

Love the historical element of this page! Blu

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2006 at 1:54 PM

Wow, wow, I guess I missed a lot!

• jungles's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2006 at 9:20 AM

Very nice page on a place I knew nothing about. The tomb looks awesome!

Badges & Stats in Kazanluk

Have you been to Kazanluk?

Latest Activity in Kazanluk