"Trun or Tran (bg: Трън)" Trun by Childish
Trun Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 25 photos
It was my second visit to this town, this time having in mind to see the famous Erma river gorge.
The Turn Eco-trail is the first eco-trail in Bulgaria. The first sector of this eco-trail was built in 1997 at the Erma River Gorge.
Erma river rises its sourse in Serbia, from Vlassina mountain near the village of Klisura, flows 25 km from its 65km length trough Bulgaria starting from the village of Strezimirovtsi and then leaves Bulgaria after the Lomnishko Gorge and runs into Nishava River in Serbia.
Erma River Gorge is situated about 5km away from the town of Trun. It is 100m long and 5 m wide at the most narrow part. There Erma river flows between the rocks Zhilav kamak and Curkvishteto.
Turn eco-trail is more than 13 km long.
Trun is a small town situated in West Bulgaria, Pernik District, very close to Bulgarian-Serbian border.
The name of the town is very interesting because it means "thorn". And I really saw a lot of thorns called in Bulgarian "donkey's thorns" (thistle). Where does this interesting name come from? Here you are one version: 'In ancient times this area was a very busy one. The travellers often asked for drinking water and an old women had been pointed a spring with words: 'there is a spring with cold water under this thorn (meaning a bush)'. Some of the travellers had decided to settle down there and established a settlement called Trun' (sourse: http://ide.li/article796.html , Stoyancho Miloshev)
The oldest written sources where the settlement was mentioned date back to the second half of the 16th century. At that time it was a trading centre of Znepole. It was known as Iznebol kabasu, Isnebol, Taran palanka, Trun palanka and lastly Trun.
At the time of the Ottoman Rule Trun was a mining and farming settlement trading with Istanbul, Odrin and Solun. It had privileges of a solder's settlement. Trun became a town after the liberation of Bulgaria.
The inhabitants of Trun were famous constructors. The unique pottery school of Busintsi was very well know all over Bulgaria.
On the picture - local kids from Roma minority who asked me to take a picture of them and after I did it thanked me... I am the one who supposed to say thanks...
Contact the tourist information centre for information, accommodation, or to hire a guide. Here is the contact... more travel advice
You can see the monument in memory of officers and soldiers fallen in Serbo-Bulgarian war on the main square in... more travel advice
Childish's Related Pages
Trun Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Trun
- 4 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Trun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trun
Photos in TrunSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Sofia Intro, 29 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lüneburg Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunis Intro, 16 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nesebar Intro, 17 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kazanluk Intro, 14 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kyustendil Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos
- Hannover Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goslar Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 6 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues