"Bethlehem" Top 5 Page for this destination Bethlehem by Childish
Bethlehem Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 483 photos
Bethlehem is located only 6km away from Jerusalem but it lies in Palestine Autonomy, so you cross the border between Israel and Palestine. Usually there are no problems, we haven't even passed thought out a passport control. But we learned that our local guide, a Russian Jew was going to spent the night illegally in Bethlehem, because Jews are not supposed to sleep in Palestine Autonomy to avoid any conflicts between Jews and Arabs.
I am sure that Bethlehem is famous to all people, even for non-Christians, because of the fact that Jesus Christ was born there. And because of that our first stop was the Church of Nativity which is said to be built on the birth place of Jesus. We even got up very early to be able to attend the morning service at 6 am. Maybe there is no other place than Holy Land where you see all possible types of Christians and to ask yourself who actually needs it the church to be split in so many types... Also the presence of so many churches and monasteries in Arabic quarters is kind of charming. And although the fact that Bethlehem looks like a typical Arabic town (as I said with the exception of the Christian buildings) its surroundings haven't changed a lot, or at least it seems so, for the last 2 millennia.
I did not have the chance to visit Herodium (although I was desperate to see it) what I liked the most was the Monastery of Mar Sabas (St. Sabas). I even did not enter it, because it is allowed only for men, but the view around it is so incredibly beautiful that it is worth going there, no doubt.
Other places of interest are Milk Grotto, Catholic Church of St. Catherine, Shepherd's Field, Monastery of St. Theodosius. For details, please, check my tips.
According to the Christian legend, while Mary was nursing the baby Jesus Josef, warned up by an angel to flee to Egypt,... more travel advice
The center of Christianity moved from Egypt to the Holy Land in the second half of 5th century. Near Bethlehem there are... more travel advice
Childish's Related Pages
Bethlehem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Oh Little Town of Bethlehem...""
- "Bethlehem - little town in Palestine"
- "Behind the walls...."
- "Christmas in Bethlehem"
- "on the other side of the wall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bethlehem
- Hotels in Bethlehem
- Transportation in Bethlehem
- Restaurants in Bethlehem
- Shopping in Bethlehem
- Warnings and Dangers in Bethlehem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bethlehem
- 7 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Bethlehem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bethlehem
Photos in BethlehemSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Sofia Intro, 29 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lüneburg Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunis Intro, 16 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nesebar Intro, 17 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kazanluk Intro, 14 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kyustendil Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos
- Hannover Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goslar Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 6 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues