"Bethlehem" Top 5 Page for this destination Bethlehem by Childish

Bethlehem Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 544 photos

Bethlehem is located only 6km away from Jerusalem but it lies in Palestine Autonomy, so you cross the border between Israel and Palestine. Usually there are no problems, we haven't even passed thought out a passport control. But we learned that our local guide, a Russian Jew was going to spent the night illegally in Bethlehem, because Jews are not supposed to sleep in Palestine Autonomy to avoid any conflicts between Jews and Arabs.

History

<TODO>

Bethlehem Star

I am sure that Bethlehem is famous to all people, even for non-Christians, because of the fact that Jesus Christ was born there. And because of that our first stop was the Church of Nativity which is said to be built on the birth place of Jesus. We even got up very early to be able to attend the morning service at 6 am. Maybe there is no other place than Holy Land where you see all possible types of Christians and to ask yourself who actually needs it the church to be split in so many types... Also the presence of so many churches and monasteries in Arabic quarters is kind of charming. And although the fact that Bethlehem looks like a typical Arabic town (as I said with the exception of the Christian buildings) its surroundings haven't changed a lot, or at least it seems so, for the last 2 millennia.
I did not have the chance to visit Herodium (although I was desperate to see it) what I liked the most was the Monastery of Mar Sabas (St. Sabas). I even did not enter it, because it is allowed only for men, but the view around it is so incredibly beautiful that it is worth going there, no doubt.
Other places of interest are Milk Grotto, Catholic Church of St. Catherine, Shepherd's Field, Monastery of St. Theodosius. For details, please, check my tips.

• Last visit to Bethlehem: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 25, 2007

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Incredibel photos and tips of this Biblical town.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2007 at 4:55 AM

very interesting page you have there. by the way, would you like a postcard from the big vt meeting in copenhagen this coming weekend?

Badges & Stats in Bethlehem

Have you been to Bethlehem?

Latest Activity in Bethlehem