"Silk Road-- The Cradle of Chinese Civilisation" Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang by leigh767
Dunhuang Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 274 photos
Though the present day desert landscape along the Silk Road suggests little of the once-flourishing trade route of the 3rd century, Dun Huang and the surrounding relics are still a wonder to behold.
At -25C, the Silk Road trail is also the second-coldest trip I have ever taken but it turned out to be one of the most incredible, most invigorating experiences in recent memory. At times, I truly felt spirited away to another era.
I visited the western-most tip of the Great Wall (Jia Yu Guan/"Jia Yu Pass"), sand dunes, deserts and the Mo Gao Grottoes -- the last site being an eye-popping destination that's worthy of its place on the UNESCO list.
A must for those who want to have a better understanding of China's ancient past.
Prepared to be humbled.
When visiting the famous sand dunes of the Silk Road, look out for the ancient temples. Pop in and say hi to the locals and if time and your cold-tolerance allows, have a cup of tea too. They are really friendly and you will feel like you've entered another world. :0)
... the stunning mountains. Took this while flying on a propeller plane back from Dun Huang to Lanzhou. It was the most breathtaking flight I've ever taken, hands down.
- Pros:A fresh perspective on China.
- Cons:So cold that parts of your body you didn't know you had will ache.
- In a nutshell:Do not even think about going there in January without triple-lining socks!
If you, like most travellers, arrive to the Dunhuang area first by passing through Lanzhou city (capital of Gansu... more travel advice
If you go there in the summer, you can take a sled and slide down the dunes-- they make loud booming sounds as you do.... more travel advice
leigh767's Related Pages
Dunhuang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A stop of the Silk Road"
- "Dazzling Strength"
- "Dunhuang - A famous historical site"
- "Silk Road-- The Cradle of Chinese Civilisation"
- "The gate of Skill road"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dunhuang
- Hotels in Dunhuang
- Transportation in Dunhuang
- Nightlife in Dunhuang
- Restaurants in Dunhuang
- Shopping in Dunhuang
- Warnings and Dangers in Dunhuang
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dunhuang
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Dunhuang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dunhuang
Photos in DunhuangSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 77 reviews, 83 photos
- Cairo Intro, 25 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Etosha National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos
- Oaxaca de Juárez Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 20 reviews, 11 photos
- Beijing Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos
- Athens Intro, 13 reviews, 11 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (19)
Latest Dunhuang hotel reviews
- Dunhuang Guest House
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- Grand Sun Hotel Dunhuang
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 16, 2013
- Charley Johngs Dune Guesthouse
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Dun Huang Hotel Dunhuang
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Silk Road Dun Huang Hotel
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013