"Stonehenge: a Mystery" Stonehenge by leigh767
Stonehenge Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 547 photos
Out in the Wiltshire countryside, what is arguably the world's most famous stone circle structure continues to draw visitors to its celebrated spot.
A word of caution: the structure is disappointingly small in reality, so the best way to appreciate it and the mystery surrounding its construction is to read up on it before you go. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonehenge has substantial info) Otherwise, you might just find yourself thinking that the greatest mystery of the day is why you spent hours (2 if you're coming from London) driving out to this isolated spot to stare at the few remnants of an age-old rock structure.
Also note that Stonehenge is now cordoned off so you can no longer walk between the stones unless you book a special tour in advance. I dare say the experience with this mysterious structure would've been twice as memorable if we were allowed to walk amid the rocks, but as it was, the entire structure is roped off, adding a sad note of arficiality to it.
Try looking out for the Heelstone, through which the sun would shine directly onto the circle centre on a mid summer's day.
leigh767's Related Pages
Stonehenge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Stones, At Last!"
- "Ancient Monuments"
- "Stonehenge, my least favorite daytrip from London"
- "STONEHENGE The Prehistoric Mystery"
- "Those stones at Stonehenge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stonehenge
- Hotels in Stonehenge
- Transportation in Stonehenge
- Restaurants in Stonehenge
- Shopping in Stonehenge
- Warnings and Dangers in Stonehenge
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Stonehenge
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Stonehenge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stonehenge
Photos in StonehengeSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 77 reviews, 83 photos
- Cairo Intro, 25 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Etosha National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos
- Oaxaca de Juárez Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 20 reviews, 11 photos
- Beijing Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos
- Athens Intro, 13 reviews, 11 photos