"Skiing in the Middle East" Lebanon Mountains by Veghel

Lebanon Mountains Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 80 photos

Faraya Mzaar can compete with the Alps!

I visited Baalbek and Anjar in the autumn of 2000. Driving from Damascus through the Bekaa valley in northern direction, I saw beautiful mountains on my left hand side. The tour guide told about some skiing facilities... As an addicted skier, the first thing I did when I came back home was looking on the internet. I found information about several Lebanese ski resorts, of which Faraya Mzaar was said to be the best (with The Cedars in second place). Based on the 2000 internet information, I thought it would be nice to ski in Lebanon some day. I placed it on my "to visit list", with medium priority. January 2006 I convinced my wife that it was the right time to go and we booked our ski trip to Faraya Mzaar for 3 to 12 March 2006. And it was in one word marvellous! If you're a skier and interested, I invite you to read my subpages.

Middle East? It's difficult to imagine!

Although the village looks very beautiful on this picture, it is not as attractive as some places in Switzerland and Austria. Faraya Mzaar mainly consists of apartment buildings with very few bars, restaurants and shops (except for the Intercontinental hotel). Most buildings do not look too bad however, and some are even beautifully designed.

Mount Lebanon (3,088 m)

From every place on the slopes of Faraya Mzaar, you can see Mount Lebanon; which is the tallest mountain of the country. The picture on the left was taken after a period of two weeks with high temperatures, lots of sunshine and no fresh snow. A few days later, the weather god dumped about 70 cm of fresh snow. As a result, the view changed completely as all brown surfaces became white again. If you look carefully, you may see some of the famous cedar trees -- the national symbol of Lebanon -- right in the middle and on the left of the picture.

• Last visit to Lebanon Mountains: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2006

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Hey, Cool pics! Encouraging that skiing will be good there :) Darshan

• RABI2005's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2006 at 3:29 PM

faraya is my best destination , i like the winter sport but i never skiig actualy:-)

• allouc's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 6:31 AM

Hi Jasper, Great description of your trip. My only comment is that you do not need to get a new pass if you buy a multi day pass. You do this at the resort's office (about 100 meters from the Mzaar) and you also get a 15% discount I think.

• MM212's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2006 at 8:38 AM

Incredible pictures and amazing tips... very unique! I've been up Mt Lebanon, but not for skiing. Next time I hope!

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2006 at 9:24 AM

Wow, great views and reviews of this surprising skiing area in the Middle East! I really enjoy to read and admire the views of your page. A must do for VT surfers too ;-)

Veghel

“Where is the nearest ski lift?”

Badges & Stats in Lebanon Mountains

Have you been to Lebanon Mountains?

Friends