"Val Thorens, ski "Mekka"" Massif de la Vanoise by Veghel
Massif de la Vanoise Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 85 photos
At an altitude of 2,300 m Val Thorens is the highest ski resort in the Alps. Ski lifts are open until the first week of May.
I stayed in Val Thorens from 23 to 30 April 2005 and it was on one world marvellous! Excellent skiing with still 140 km of groomed runs available. Less that the usual 600 km of runs earlier in the season, but still very good considering the time of the season. Val Thorens is perfect for skiers of any level, though I would recommend beginners to go to a cheaper place.
The big advantages of Val Thorens are that there is lots of always snow and most of the accomodations are ski in - ski out. The village is runned professionally: you don't feel like being in France except for the language! Though many people do speak English. In fact, it would not surprise me if the majority of the businesses are not runned/owned by the French. The village consists of only large to even larger buildings and has less charm than the average resort in Austria or Switzerland. Still it could be worse: at least they have used some wood instead of just concrete! ;-) And the scenery is magnificent; at daylight of course, but also overnight when the highest mountain (Aiguille de Péclet 3,562 m) is partly illuminated.
Another advantage of Val Thorens is that it is part of the biggest ski area in the world and there are excellent off-piste opportunities.
Disadvantages are the altitude, so it may be very cold, especially mid winter. It is also more expensive than average, although you definitely can get a very good deal in the early or late season.
It is a year since I've been to Restaurant La Ferme de Rosalie and I can't remember exactly what I had for dinner, but I... more travel advice
The Funitel Grand Fond provides access to Orelle on the other side of the mountain, via the Breche de Rosaël (3,000 m).... more travel advice
Veghel's Related Pages
Massif de la Vanoise Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Walking from Bessans to Clavière"
- "Vanois in August"
- "Val Thorens, ski "Mekka""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Massif de la Vanoise
- Hotels in Massif de la Vanoise
- Transportation in Massif de la Vanoise
- Restaurants in Massif de la Vanoise
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Massif de la Vanoise
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Massif de la Vanoise?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Massif de la Vanoise
Photos in Massif de la VanoiseSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 30 reviews, 111 photos
- Veghel Intro, 33 reviews, 68 photos
- Lebanon Mountains Intro, 18 reviews, 66 photos
- Mikumi National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Roccaraso Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- El Calafate Intro, 8 reviews, 38 photos
- Zanzibar Town Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos
- Andermatt Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Ushuaia Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Adeje Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos