"MDINA - Citta Notabile" Top 5 Page for this destination Mdina by tophat30
Mdina Travel Guide: 280 reviews and 847 photos
The Old Capital of Malta is a typycal Medieval town, situated approximatly in the centre of the island. The Silent City as it is known, commands a magnificent view of Malta.
Mdina's history takes us back to at least 2300 years. Inhabited by the Carthaginians (700-218 BC), and the Roman Empire. When St Paul was shipwrecked ( Acts 27:27 - 28:7 ) he stayed in Publius' Palace, same spot were now stands The St Paul's Cathedral. By that time Mdina's original size was 5 times larger than how we know it now. The Arabs reduced it to the present size to have better control of the Fortifications surrounding their Palaces, Quarters and houses.
After the Earthquake that tore down Mdina to ruins in 1963, Grandmaster Manoel de Vilhena made Mdina his summer residence to urge the fleeing residents to turn back home.Thanks to this, the city received special attention from the Knights of St John. The charm of its narrow streets and the silence of its medieval Palaces became the setting for a feast of Baroque splendour. You can visit my ' things to do' tips for more details about Mdina.
- Pros:One of the Cleanest and well preserved cities in Malta
- Cons:Should be a Car Free City.
65, 80, 86 buses stop at Mdina Gate. Bus numbers 81 and 84 pass trogh Rabat. You can take these buses and stop at the... more travel advice
A very modern Audio Visual Presentation of the Mdina History. Souvenier shop and cafe also at Ground Floor. A picture is... more travel advice
tophat30's Related Pages
Mdina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Malta's former capital"
- "Mdina the Citta’ Notabile"
- "The Silent City"
- "Mdina - The silent city of Malta"
- "MDINA - Citta Notabile"
- "Mdina, Old Capital of Malta"
- "The not so Silent City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mdina
- Hotels in Mdina
- Transportation in Mdina
- Nightlife in Mdina
- Restaurants in Mdina
- Shopping in Mdina
- Warnings and Dangers in Mdina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mdina
- 13 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Mdina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mdina
Photos in MdinaSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 37 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vittoriosa Intro, 19 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valletta Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marsaxlokk Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mdina Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mosta Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos
- Rabat Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Gozo Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos
- Prague Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Singapore Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos