"Salvador" Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador by cimc

Salvador Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 192 photos

It is such a cliché, but Salvador really is a city where the party never ends. Many mornings I found myself responding to inquiries after my health by clutching my head and groaning “Demais Festa”. And, despite my scepticism as to how friendly the inhabitants of a place could really be I am now a believer-the Seripolitanos are basically the friendliest people I have ever met. Just don’t be fooled by the other tourists telling you that it is undiscovered and if you have more than a few days try to get out of the Pelo to see the rest of the city. I am already trying to figure out how I can go back!!!

Music

Don't forget that many of Brazil's most famous musicians are from Salvador (e.g. Carlinhos Brown & Gilberto Gil) and the city literally pulses with drum beats at any time of night or day. Almost every bar and club has live music every night and it can fall into almost any genre so you will be spoiled for choice. Normally on Tuesdays there are stages set up in Terrorio de Jesus and in Largo do Pelorinho with food and drinks stalls so you won’t even have to pay!! The local pop music styles are Pagodge and Axé and during the winter (June/July) you will see an awful lot of Forró-music from the interior of the Northwest-which involves accordions and jaunty dancing by people in straw hats-great fun!! If you are there on a Tuesday, don’t forget to check out an Olodum show.

Food

• Last visit to Salvador: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 18, 2005

Comments

Badges & Stats in Salvador

Have you been to Salvador?

Latest Activity in Salvador