"Behind Tito's shadow" Top 5 Page for this destination Uzice by McCoq
Uzice Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 111 photos
Uzice is an historic city of Serbia (and Yugoslavia). The city may have Celtic origins but the first mention of the town comes from 1329, when a trade colony was developed here. In the middle of 15th century was conquered by Turks. Became an important military base at the time of wars between Austria and Turkey in 17-18th centuries. In 1805 get liberated from Turks, but in 1813 fall under Ottoman rule. In 1862 Turks virtually destroyed the city. In 1941 received the German bombardement and in the recent 1999 NATO's bomb impact in the post office, klling civilians.
Politcaly talking, in 1941 here was declared the Uzice Republic, that was real for 67 days. In Tito's times, the city was called Titovo Uzice, untill 1992.
The city has grown quite rapidly since the World War II, and nowadays has a poulation of about 60.000.
Is located in west Serbia, at an altitude of 411m, set deep in the valley of the Detinja river, and surrounded by dark green hills.
Uzice is placed moreorless between Mokra Gora and Zlatibor. So could be a good place to stay if you are planning to... more travel advice
Don't fail to take a walk crossing the old way of the train. Crossing bridges (some of them aren't very secure to... more travel advice
McCoq's Related Pages
Uzice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Behind Tito's shadow"
- "Uzice and Zlatibor page"
- "Biljana's Uzice Page"
- "Uzice Easter 2013"
- "Uzice by Alex!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uzice
- Hotels in Uzice
- Transportation in Uzice
- Nightlife in Uzice
- Restaurants in Uzice
- Warnings and Dangers in Uzice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uzice
- 12 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Uzice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uzice
Top 10 Pages
- Novi Pazar Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos
- Novi Sad Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzice Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subotica Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Argentona Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Collioure Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Bamako Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Djenne Intro, 1 review, 6 photos