"My Home" Cape Breton Island by JohnniOmani
Cape Breton Island Travel Guide: 169 reviews and 438 photos
Cape Breton Island has amazing landscapes and its strong cultural roots combine to create a wonderful experience. Located off the eastern coast of Nova Scotia, Cape Breton is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, Gulf of Saint Lawrence and the Strait of Canso in one of the most rugged, remote areas of the province. It's a combination of beaches, cliffs, land and sea for a mindblowing range of wildlife. The first Europeans to settle in Cape Breton were the Scottish and French, whose cultural influences still dominate the local culture. The Ceilidh (kay-lee) Trail, Gaelic for party or gathering, greet people with stunning panoramas and the occasional sounds of Cape Breton-style fiddlers and bag pipes. The Cabot Trail runs through much of the region and its changing landscapes. Cape Breton is my home and I am proud to be a Caper. I have travelled to the Himalaya and Alps, Dolomites but Cape Breton remains close to me and is truely my favorite place in the world. I cant wait to go back home and see my family as well as the stunning views.
Cheticamp is a community on the shores of the Gulf of St Lawrence and it lies on a scenic portion of the Cabot Trail. The western entrance to the Cape Breton Highlands National Park is 5 km (3 mi) northeast of town. The town is also a popular spot for whale watching cruises and a hovercraft trips to Magdalen Islands (Iles-de-la-Madeleine) in the middle of the Gulf of St Lawrence. The cruises are easy to find and you can catch the boats at Government Wharf. The area has such a great vibe and has excellent restaurants that offer some of the best sea food you will find on the East Coast. I usually spend a few days here every summer with my family. We usually do the Cabot Trail scenic drive followed by trekking on the Skyline Trail topped off by whale watching in Cheticamp. Whale watching is great fun and if you are lucky you will see Moose, Bears and Eagles near the shoreline. There is such a regional pride with the Acadians and their French heritage and they keep their traditional way of life going. It is most visible near the docks of the town where you can see local fishermen getting ready to go back out to sea. Cheticamp is one of the nicest and most beautiful towns on the east coast and I absolutely love going there every summer with my family. I have so many good memories and I strongly recommend this lovely town to travellers.
The Fortress of Louisbourg is a re-creation of a French settlement that existed 250 years ago. Costumed animators and actors play the former residents to perfection. All of the actors are well trained and take their job seriously giving this place a unique atmosphere. Women (actors) walk around getting bread etc like they did 300 years ago. You can see homes and gardens, inns and taverns, and even eat 18th Century cuisine in 3 different restaurants. Louisbourg has been recently renovated by the provincial government and the site itself is impressive. Everyone is in costume and in character all hours of the day and it feels as though you have stepped back in time. Louisbourg is really really good fun!!
Near Ingonish the Cabot Trail re-enters the Highlands park. Here tourists will find the beautiful Keltic Lodge perched... more travel advice
As you hike the Skyline Trail keep an eye out for moose which frequent the area. You may notice that the forest seems to... more travel advice
JohnniOmani's Related Pages
Cape Breton Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Ciad Mile Failte" Welcome to Cape Breton"
- "MooseSpotting in Cape Breton Highlands"
- "A small place with a huge heart"
- "Cape Breton in autumn"
- "CAPE BRETON ISLAND"
- "I'll take the high road"
- "My Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cape Breton Island
- Hotels in Cape Breton Island
- Transportation in Cape Breton Island
- Nightlife in Cape Breton Island
- Restaurants in Cape Breton Island
- Shopping in Cape Breton Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Cape Breton Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cape Breton Island
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Cape Breton Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape Breton Island
Photos in Cape Breton IslandSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oman Intro, 54 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 28 reviews, 13 photos
- New York City Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 22 reviews, 6 photos
- Tehran Intro, 18 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Middle East Intro, 18 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 21 reviews, 5 photos
- Iran Intro, 18 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 14 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peshawar Intro, 13 reviews, 6 photos