"Oman . . My Home of Three Years" Top 5 Page for this destination Oman by JohnniOmani

Oman Travel Guide: 1,289 reviews and 3,344 photos

A Life Changing Experience

Sohar's History. Wahiba Sand Dunes. Ibra's remoteness. The beauty of Wadi Bani Khalid. Friendly faces. Traditional souqs. The forts of Muscat. Salalah's beaches. Hospitality. Omani innocence. The spectacular fjords of Musandam. Jebel Shams supremacy. Historic properties. Bargaining. Qaboos. Frankincense. The lost city of Ubar. Borders that straddle modernity. Warm faces. Sand storms. The cool rain in the desert. Arabian stars. Sur's beautiful fishing vessels. The giant turtles of Ras Al Hadd. The cool breeze at sunset. Omani sunrises. The Hajaar Mountains off in the distance. Dhows silently waiting for the storm. Camels in pickup trucks. Bedouin burkas. The glorious Arabian Sea. Rich history. The mystery of the Al Hooti caves. Nizwa's impressive fort. Falaj Daris and its eternal lifeline. The peaceful villages of the Sharqiya region. Masirah Island and its calming waves. Sparkling Khanjars. Wedding celebrations. Omani football matches. Peaceful desert walks. The beautiful sink hole. Muscat's lights. Red, White and Green. Oman. An Amazing place.

Omani architecure

Oman has such an authentic Arabian feel to it and this is best represented through its beautiful buildings. There is nothing like walking around some parts of Oman and taking in the Omani/Islamic style buildings. Chances are you will be the only person taking in the sights and 90% of the small villages are not used to seeing foreigner in their town making the experience unforgettable.

The Sultan has enforced strict building codes in the country (not allowed to build higher than 6 stories) so these laws make Oman feel much more traditional than its Arabian neighbours. Some of my most enjoyable times in Oman involved walking around the local villages taking in the old mosques and mud homes while listening to the wind and hearing the call to prayers in the distance. Oman hasnt been touched by any form of tourism and it is this reason that I love the country so much :)

The Omani people . . . and the Bedu

Anyone that has travelled the Middle East knows that Oman is known for its amazing people. The Omani people greeted me with open arms from the moment I stepped in the country. I remember arriving in the country in 2003 not knowing what to expect because it was the first time Westerners have ever lived in the town where I was to work. My first day in the Middle East set the tone for the 3 years I spent in Oman as well in the Middle East. Within the first hour of walking around the town, an older man in his 70s invited my friend and I in for tea and dates. Despite not speaking a word of English, he offered us countless cups of tea and after 3 hours we shook hands and said our goodbyes. I never seen that man again but that type of hospitality turned out to me a daily occurrence throughout my time in the country. I have so much respect for the Omani people because they have retained their traditions and values despite the pressures to conform in a ultra modern world. I have countless friends in the country and they are some of the best people Ive ever met. I personally cant say enough about them and we will remain close friends forever :)
The Bedu

Bedu means nomadic and most countries have their share of Nomadic people who move or moved from place to place to earn a living. Most modern day Bedouins have settled down as farmers but they have kept their traditions alive. Most farmers and modern day Bedouins look after their goats, sheep and camels and more interested in the local souqs than travelling thousands of kilometers in the sun. The Bedouins in the past had traditional tents but they now have traditional tents and personally made homes. The family is a close knit unit with seperate areas for the men and women. The Bedouins use Toyotas and Landrovers rather than camels but camels are still widely used by every family. The hospitality of the Bedu is legendary and after experiencing it first hand I can say it stands alone among an area known for its generosity. The Bedu follow the simple rule of dont show anyone out of the town or area without treating them with the most utmost respect and friendliness. The code ensures for the survival of all in a difficult environment with few resources. I live in a very small conservative Bedouin city and the Bedu are some of my favorite people in the country. They are super sweet and traditional and I love practicing my Arabic with them : )

• Pros:People, Geography, Untouched Culture
  • Cons:Difficult to Travel around, Heat
  • In a nutshell:A fascinating place
  • Last visit to Oman: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 19, 2010

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Thanks John for a fascinating insight into Oman :-)) I am considering a visit, but although I am against tour groups, I looked at your tip about Desert Discovery Tours, and like what they offer, especially since you wrote that thier guides are local Bedouin. My idea is to travel at slow pace and learn about the people and traditions as much as possible, and .. stay in the desert for a major portion of the time.

• Jan 1, 2012 at 3:33 PM

hello everybody,

as a Omani person you are welcome to my country and hope for you good time. you are welcome at anytime. good luck

by the way this is my email for those who want to chat but don't forget to send a msg telling me that you are going to add me "laitho@yahoo.com". by the way Jhonni we should go for picnic one day.

regards,
    Ali

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Now I know where to go to treat my feet nails :-) :-) :-) Apart from this, I did not know that Oman had so much to offer. Thanks for sharing

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Getting something organized for the long Eid weekend here, and Oman is an option (Inshallah). Your pages have been really helpful. Greetings from the desert.

• Travelchili's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2009 at 11:08 AM

What a wonderful and insightful page on Oman! I have long wanted to visit, but haven't managed to talk anyone into going with me and don't want to go solo. Sad. I think it'll be as amazing as you say. One day I hope I can share my stories, too.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2009 at 6:31 AM

Thanks for the excellent introduction and good tips.I will return to this page, because we are going to be in Oman in March 2010.

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2008 at 2:17 AM

Yes, can see your passion for this part of the world, even better you can liaise with the people using their tongue.. You have made it all so interesting to read about, giving an insight into much that is perhaps misunderstood by the 'outside' world.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Excellent tips John! Excellent for this introduction to that country, specially regarding interference, dressing codes, tourist behaviour in general. I enjoyed the mountains there in March 2006. Thanks for having visited the rain forest with me.

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2007 at 8:38 AM

Extremely interesting page about Oman, it is not like visiting a different country I guess, it is like going to another planet!;)

• grets's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2007 at 1:08 AM

Great page on Oman Johnny, we have a seven hour layover here in October and I am looking for things to do in Muscat rather than stay in the airport.....

JohnniOmani Used To Live Here!

JohnniOmani

“Find the Good in All Places”

Badges & Stats in Oman