"One of my Absolute Favorite places in the World" Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia by JohnniOmani

Georgia Travel Guide: 1,258 reviews and 3,921 photos

Georgia

Corruption, brutal history, muggings, poverty, hostile neighbours, great people, no English, heavy drinkers, amazing scenery and soviet statues. All descriptive words of a country on the brink of either collaspe or on the road to a slow and stable future. Some of the harsher stereotypes are not entirely true while the warmer words are huge understatements. There is of course corruption, poverty and crime but the current government is working to stabilize the situation. Usually a country with my mentioned description would drive most people on the first road out of town but a country like Georgia is a challenging journey. Georgia can not be categorized into any one single group as the country has so many wonderful aspects yet lingering harsh realities. Daily life seems to be a struggle for most but like in any ex communist country, Georgia is finding a way to leave their turbulent past behind them and push on with their future. Travelling around this wonderful country can really open your eyes to a country at the crossroads. Powercuts, cold showers and poverty is only one side of this multi faceted nation. Georgia is home to some of best people on Earth not to mention fantastic traditions, wonderful food, churches, incredible mountains and countless monasteries. Georgia is proving that it is not in anyway like its northern neighbour and if you like a place that where the gold toothed locals watch Brazilian soaps and drink beer as though it is water then Georgia is for you. It is bizaare but in such a way that it is really unique in the world.

Georgias Finest

Georgian people have a reputation for being extremely nice to foreigners and this is one of the biggest reasons I travelled to this country. I heard despite the fact that they were dominated by the Russians for so many years that they managed to hold onto their traditions, friendliness and good humor. Georgians intially appear to be somewhat cold but the look they give you is not out of coldness but rather curiousity. After speaking with a Georgian for more than 2 minutes you will realize how special these people are despite being in an area heavily dominated by politics and the military. I was lucky enough to have been adopted by a Georgian family for two days in early September and they showed me the full works. They gave me guided city tours, gave me food and drink and treated me not as a foreigner but as a member of their family. Georgians make Georgia what it is and they represent their country in a way that is unique in this world.

The Georgian Reality

Georgia may be a great place to visit because the locals are very friendly to foreign guests but Georgians everyday lives are not as easy as it appears. My host family (mother was an English teacher) told me about the harsh realities of life in Georgia. The average income in Georgia is too low to mention and most people live without electricity or a regular water supply. The family I stayed with 'seemed' well off yet they had an outhouse attached to their house and they felt too embarrassed to show me the rest of their home despite their living room being more than enough for me to relax in during the evening. Georgians are rather isolated economically due to sanctions imposed by Russia who is destroying their export profits. On the otherhand, most Georgians love food and wine because I think they consider it a long lasting tradition that takes them away to a happy place with their good friends and loved ones. Transport consists of old Russian made cars and buses that look so beat up and old that you wonder how they will make it to their destination. Overall, life shouldnt be judged by what you see in Tbilisi and Georgians despite being tough people have a rough existence. They are resilient people :)

• Pros:Incredible People, Amazing views and cool culture
  • Cons:Poverty and Post Soviet conditions
  • In a nutshell:My New Fav
  • Last visit to Georgia: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 3, 2010

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2014 at 7:29 AM

It is great, useful page about a country I would like to visit someday :) Very nice and helpful writings :)

• kikalena's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I've started to read your wonderful page about Georgia. For sure I'll go back to it many times before my travel to the country in August. While reading your page I only assured myself that I chose the right destinatation for this summer :) Tahnks for sharing!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2011 at 7:31 AM

I hope to visit Georgia one day so thank you for very interesting and practical information.

• ninimetreveli's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2010 at 4:41 PM

OMG... how do I miss xinkali :(

• american_tourister's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2009 at 2:17 AM

I worked with Georgians in Kuwait and they were terrific.

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Fantastic information on Georgia. Not only extremely useful, but entertaining as well. Thanks.

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2007 at 3:19 PM

good page on Georgia I love your idea to meet local people Georgian very easy to meet

• Rustaveli058's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2007 at 9:07 AM

With my wife being Georgian I can attest to the fact that all you say is true.The country is s-l-o-w-l-y improving with the leadership of Saakashvili.

• Lunaina's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2007 at 12:29 AM

I really like to go to Georgia one day... thanks for the tips... and wow Oman is a great place too!!

JohnniOmani Used To Live Here!

JohnniOmani

“Find the Good in All Places”

Badges & Stats in Georgia

Have you been to Georgia?

Latest Activity in Georgia