"Gateway to the Painted Churches" Suceava by JohnniOmani
Suceava Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 237 photos
The painted churches of Southern Bucovina are some of the most interesting sights in Eastern Europe. After getting a night train from Cluj Napoca with hard drinking locals (another story) I arrived in Suceava to explore the churches. The UNESCO designated monasteries were used during the time of Turkish invaders. To educate the illitereate peasants who were unable to understand biblical stories, the monks with the assistance of artists that lived in the fortress type monasteries painted bibilical scenes on the side of numerous churches in the area. Despite 5 centuries of wind and rain, the churches are superb :)
JohnniOmani's Related Pages
Suceava Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Suceava"
- "Suceava and Southern Bucovina 2005"
- "MOLDAVIA AND BUCOVINA."
- "Home Sweet Home for a Bucovina Monastery Visit"
- "Gateway to the Painted Churches"
- "Suceava and the monasteries of Southern Bucovina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suceava
- Hotels in Suceava
- Transportation in Suceava
- Restaurants in Suceava
- Shopping in Suceava
- Warnings and Dangers in Suceava
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suceava
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Suceava?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suceava
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oman Intro, 54 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 28 reviews, 13 photos
- New York City Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 22 reviews, 6 photos
- Tehran Intro, 18 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Middle East Intro, 18 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 21 reviews, 5 photos
- Iran Intro, 18 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 14 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peshawar Intro, 13 reviews, 6 photos