"Veliko Tarnovo" Veliko Turnovo by JohnniOmani
Veliko Turnovo Travel Guide: 278 reviews and 722 photos
Veliko Turnovo is a small medieval town in in the heart of Bulgaria and I only travelled down to Veliko because the Bucharest Sofia train was booked solid and my god how I am happy how things work out for the better because this town has been one of my favorite towns in all of Europe. This place has absolutely everything from an amazing fortress that is great condition to amazing architecture to gorges to monuments to fantastic restaurants. The river Yantra snakes its way through the town making the town one of the most photogenic small towns in Eastern Europe. Veliko Turnovos areas of interest can be seen in a day but I fell in love with the old town, fortress and awesome views and I ended up staying four days. Veliko Turnovo surpasses most small towns in Europe and I highly recommend travellers get there before the places explodes on the backpacker scene.
The Tsarevets citadel was built to defend the town and it was sacked by the Turks at least twice in its history. It dominates the edge of the old town and it hovers above a gorge making for some spectacular photos. The citadel stands strong and I personally had loads of fun just wondering around and going up to each tower and taking in the views. There are not busloads of tourists in Veliko yet so you can wander around the area without any trouble making this citadel a memorable one in Eastern Europe. Veliko Turnovo is a fantastic place to break up a long trip in Eastern Europe and its sights will charm any jaded traveller.
- Pros:Excellent food, hostels, drinks and sights
- Cons:absolutely nothing
- In a nutshell:One of my favorite towns in Europe
The enormous menu (in English) offers all sorts of cuisine both Bulgarian and Foreign. The restaurant is beautiful and... more travel advice
JohnniOmani's Related Pages
Veliko Turnovo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City In The Mountains"
- "THE MOST CHARM AND LOVELY PLACE IN BULGARIA"
- "Onwards, onwards ever onwards..."
- "Bulgaria's Medieval Capital"
- "Veliko Turnovo"
- "another VT: Veliko Turnovo"
- "City of the Tsars"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Veliko Turnovo
- Hotels in Veliko Turnovo
- Transportation in Veliko Turnovo
- Nightlife in Veliko Turnovo
- Restaurants in Veliko Turnovo
- Shopping in Veliko Turnovo
- Warnings and Dangers in Veliko Turnovo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Veliko Turnovo
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Veliko Turnovo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Veliko Turnovo
Photos in Veliko TurnovoSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oman Intro, 54 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 28 reviews, 13 photos
- New York City Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 22 reviews, 6 photos
- Tehran Intro, 18 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Middle East Intro, 18 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 21 reviews, 5 photos
- Iran Intro, 18 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 14 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peshawar Intro, 13 reviews, 6 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (8)
Latest Veliko Turnovo hotel reviews
- Best Western Veliko Tarnovo Hotel Premier
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 7, 2013
- Minotel Rashev
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Interhotel Veliko Turnovo
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Hikers Hostel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 25, 2013
- Hotel Boliari
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 7, 2012
- Trinity Rocks Farm
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Hotel Varusha
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Yantra Grand Hotel
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Hotel Studio
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Hostel Mostel
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Phoenix Hostel
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 18, 2012
- Low Costel Hostel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2010