"Pitlochry" Pitlochry by JohnniOmani
Pitlochry Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 217 photos
Pitlochry is a great base for exploring the surrounding highlands or visiting almost any place in central Scotland. It is one of the prettiest towns in Scotland and is one of my favorite places in the country.
Well Pitlochry is a beautiful town on the edge of the Highlands and I am very lucky that I visit this beautiful town a few times a year for obvious reasons. It is very cute with its wee shops and pretty hills and it has become my second home, I am a big fan of this town and I love going there as much as possible.
The name Pitlochry is derived from Pit-clochaire - place by the senitel stone. In Gaelic it is Baile-Chloichrigh - homestead of the stony place.
The present spelling of Pitlochry was first used in the Post Office Guide of June 1882, the previous spelling being Pitlochrie.
The growth of Pitlochry dates from about 1845, when Queen Victoria visited Blair Atholl. Sir James Clark, the royal physician, formed such a high opinion of the air and climate that he began to prescribe to his patients a holiday there. It`s a beautiful Victorian town located in the Perthshire Highlands amidst some of the most beautiful scenery in Europe. Pitlochry has been a popular holiday resort for over a hundred years. The Pitlochry area is superb for walks with an integrated network of well-signposted forest trails and designated mountain bike routes. The town has its own atmosphere and lovely old architecture.
- Pros:Amazing People, Beautiful Hills and great downtown area
- In a nutshell:Personal Favorite
Climbing some of the hills around Pit afford you some great views and a chance to get away from everything and enjoy the... more travel advice
JohnniOmani's Related Pages
Pitlochry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It couldn't possibly get better than this!"
- "A short stop in Pitlochry"
- "just passing through..."
- "The heart of the Highlands"
- "Pitlochry and the tourist dollar, or pound, or yen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pitlochry
- Hotels in Pitlochry
- Transportation in Pitlochry
- Nightlife in Pitlochry
- Restaurants in Pitlochry
- Shopping in Pitlochry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pitlochry
- 3 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Pitlochry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pitlochry
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oman Intro, 54 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 28 reviews, 13 photos
- New York City Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 22 reviews, 6 photos
- Tehran Intro, 18 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Middle East Intro, 18 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 21 reviews, 5 photos
- Iran Intro, 18 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 14 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peshawar Intro, 13 reviews, 6 photos