"Wonderful Surprise" Verona by JohnniOmani
Verona Travel Guide: 1,718 reviews and 4,377 photos
Verona is in every foreign travel guide/magazine on the market so I was expecting a bit of a chaotic tourist hungry city but after spending a pleasant three days in the city in 2008 I can honestly say I had a fantastic time here. Despite being constructed in 30 AD, much of the original architecture remains, and the amphitheater still houses opera productions throughout the summer. The city is famous of course for Romeo and Juliet but it offers so much more. It has an amazing ancient military fortress, some beautiful piazzas and churches and add in the history of the Scaligeri family and you cant go wrong. Beautiful city.
A story of love, secrecy, revenge and ultimately death. Everyone knows the story of Romeo and Juliet because it is probably Shakespeares most famous play. To further the legend of the doomed lovers (who may or may not have actually existed) tourists can see the houses of the families that the two were said to have been based on. Juliet's House, the Casa di Giulietta, is little more than a small house with a balcony surrounded by hundreds of tourists but standing on the balcony is pretty touristy and fun. Romeo's supposed house has been converted into a charming restaurant called the Osteria Dal Duca and is worthy of a visit. Overall, the story and old house still charms to this day.
JohnniOmani's Related Pages
Verona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Verona "my town""
- "Verona - The City of Balconies"
- "Architecture & dancingqueens reaching for the sky"
- "My Verona"
- "Operas in the Arena"
- "Verona, a living museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Verona
- Hotels in Verona
- Transportation in Verona
- Nightlife in Verona
- Restaurants in Verona
- Shopping in Verona
- Warnings and Dangers in Verona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Verona
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Verona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Verona
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oman Intro, 54 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 28 reviews, 13 photos
- New York City Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 22 reviews, 6 photos
- Tehran Intro, 18 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Middle East Intro, 18 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 21 reviews, 5 photos
- Iran Intro, 18 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 14 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peshawar Intro, 13 reviews, 6 photos