"Gateway to Arabia" Ibra by JohnniOmani

Ibra Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 6 photos

Hilly Desert

Ibra was my home the better part of four years so I decided I should do this place justice and revamp my page. I spent 3.5 years of my life in this small town and I miss it soo much. Historically, Ibra has been the gateway to the Sharqiya region and it is located 150km from Muscat on the main Muscat Sur road. As you approach it, the many watchtowers sited on the surrounding hills give some idea of its past strategic importance. It is a busy, large and sprawling town with a small poplutaion of about 20,000 residents. Ibra despite what LP and others say has a lot to offer not to mention the nicest people in the entire country. Ibra has an old historic city which can rival any place in the country if people only knew about it and the surrounding mountains are fantastic. Trust me, if you have a chance to stop overnight then go. The people in Ibra are genuine and I love them to death! Soooo sweet. I will always have a special place in my heart for this town :)

Local Life

Omanis are courteous, friendly and warm people. They are renowned for their unmatched tradition of hospitality. Everywhere you go you will be invited into peoples homes which should not be missed. Despite not being a tourist hot spot and witnessing only a few travellers a month, Ibra is open to foreigners and guests. Living and working in a small town such as Ibra has been an eye opening experience. I know what it is truely like to live in an Islamic country and I cant say enough good things about the people. They continue to impress me and I will be friends with them for a long time.

Old Ibra : Al Manzifah

Al Manzifah is another place of interest in the lower part of Ibra (Sufalah). Although the buildings are crumbling, it is clear what an impressive town this area was in the past. There are four storied houses with elaborately designed doors and roofs. The arches and plasterwork display fine craftsmanship. The wooden doors are impressive with their handmade bolts and nails complementing the intricate carving. Legend has it was the center of a tribal feud over 30 years ago. Rival families in (Alayah and Sufalah) used to battle each other on a daily basis. The result was bloodshed and destruction until the present day Sultan came to power in 1970. The Sultan put an end to the fighting and as a result people abandoned the old city. The old city is off the beaten track and overlooked by travellers but remains one of the most impressive sites in the entire country. It is spectacular.

• Pros:Wednesday Souq, Mountains, Locals
  • Cons:It is remote, lacks facilities
  • In a nutshell:Worth a Look
  • Intro Updated Sep 9, 2007

• CarolynnyOmani's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2008 at 6:57 AM

It's good to see that you have done so well to show folks a bit of the magic of Ibra. I miss it too, more than I can say. I'm in Shinas now, and the folks are just as nice. Seems to be endemic in this country.

• ludogatto's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2007 at 1:14 PM

thank u....in the future I'd like to visit Oman...when I was in Eau a lot of people tald me about it!

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2006 at 7:44 AM

Your pages are filled with so much info that I am having to do it in installments. Fabulous, what more can I say. Loving 'em. Merry Xmas and a Great NY too.

• Dec 20, 2005 at 4:09 PM

im interested to know what brings you to ibra. is it for work? an interesting place to live!

JohnniOmani Used To Live Here!

JohnniOmani

“Find the Good in All Places”

Badges & Stats in Ibra