"Nizwa" Top 5 Page for this destination Nizwa by JohnniOmani
Nizwa Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 82 photos
Nizwa is located in the heart of mountains and it is a stunning area. Nizwa is about two hours from Muscat and it is along the picturesque highway, and the city itself has a lot to offer to travellers as it is the gateway to the ancient sites of Bahla and Jabrin not to mention the gorgeous areas of Jebel Akhdar and Jebel Shams. Nizwa has a great souq, amazing fort and despite being a growing city it remains a historical and great place to learn about Omans history. It was the capital of Oman until the 1950s and it is probably one of the most visited areas in the country. Nizwa is a great place to witness traditional Omani ways that have kept this country so special for such a long time. Great fun.
The local souq in Nizwa is all about fruit, vegetables, mean and fish and they are housed in new buildings, behind the great piece of the city wall that overlooks the wadi (riverbed). The souq can be a crowded place to be on the weekend not to mention an assault on the senses. It has a livestock souq which is great fun. Prices for antiques and silver etc are all worth bargaining for and the men are usually in good spirits when haggling with tourists. They will probably even invite you for some tea before and after the exchange of goods and cash. The prices may be a bit high for tourists due to lack of bargaining skills and Arabic but the exchange generally ends in a good laugh and a great memory.
This great hotel offers 50% discount to travellers from April to August. It has two swimming pools, a gym and a bar. The... more travel advice
JohnniOmani's Related Pages
Nizwa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nizwa - The Former Capital of Oman"
- "Oman's Second City"
- "Jamal and Jamilla Camel visit Nizwa Fort and Souk"
- "Ex Capital in search of new identity"
- "Nizwa and the People of Nizwa"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nizwa
- 2 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Nizwa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nizwa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oman Intro, 54 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 28 reviews, 13 photos
- New York City Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 22 reviews, 6 photos
- Tehran Intro, 18 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Middle East Intro, 18 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 21 reviews, 5 photos
- Iran Intro, 18 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 14 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peshawar Intro, 13 reviews, 6 photos