"Echmiadzin" Ejmiatsin by JohnniOmani
Ejmiatsin Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 92 photos
Holy Echmiadzin is the Vatican of the Armenian Apostolic Church, the place where St. Gregory saw a beam of light from heaven and then decided to build the first church on that site. The Holy See is a beautiful place to wander around and take in the holiest site in the country. Bearded clergymen in hooded black robes glide along the garden paths around the Mayr Tachar. One of the most fascinating things in the Holy See is the treasury which houses over 1500 years of treasure collected by the church including the Holy Lance, the weapon used by Roman soldiers to pierce the side of Christ on his way to Calvary. There are also other great relics including fragments of the Holy Cross and Noahs Ark.
The gardens are absolutely gorgeous and there is a 23 Genocide Monument along with a great archway leading to the Palace of the Catholicos that was built by the King in the 4th century. The area also has a museum of old residence. It is off limits but if you make arrangements you can visit the place. Just taking in the spirit of the place is really nice and worth the visit alone. The grounds are in amazing shape and it is nice to walk around a Vatican style place without the crowds of the Roman Vatican. Great place.
JohnniOmani's Related Pages
Ejmiatsin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ejmiatsin, the Religous Center of Armenia"
- "Echmiadzin and Zvartnots"
- "Armenian holiest place"
- "Ejmiatsin - Armenia's religious center"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ejmiatsin
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Ejmiatsin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ejmiatsin
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oman Intro, 54 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 28 reviews, 13 photos
- New York City Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 22 reviews, 6 photos
- Tehran Intro, 18 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Middle East Intro, 18 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 21 reviews, 5 photos
- Iran Intro, 18 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 14 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peshawar Intro, 13 reviews, 6 photos