Peshawar Things to Do Tips by JohnniOmani Top 5 Page for this destination
Peshawar Things to Do: 136 reviews and 135 photos
On the road to the Khyber Pass, out on the fringes of Peshawar, several kilometres beyond Hayatabad and just before you enter the Tribal Areas is this strange bazaar. The place for contraband use to be in Landi Kotal at the Khyber Pass but now this criminal paradise has moved closer to the city of Peshawar. Dont expect turbans and merchants but rather VCRS, clothes and shoes. The far end (usually off limits to foreigners) is the area where you can purchase everything from an AK 47 to a sub machine gun to any type of drug or illegal substance. The bazaar is safe enough during daylight but absolutely not at night as Pakistani police can help you, quite an eye opening place.
All around Pakistan you will see t colorful and decorated buses. The trucks are an expression of the man and his artistic abilities but often times the owner of the truck words hand in hand working with a local artist to make his truck looks as unique as possible. The artists pain the trucks with thousands of different kinds of designs ranging from birds to Islamic writing to animals and people. Peshawar has some great trucks and if you go to the edge of town you can watch the artists do their thing, they will even pose in photographs because they are proud of their creations.
Directions: On the Karakoram Highway outside Peshawar.
Gate to the Tribal Areas
Near Peshawar you are in the government lands of the Khalid tribe. About 20km east of Peshawar is Jamrud Fort, built by the Sikhs in 1823 to mark the western edge of their empire(one of the few to expand westward to the Khyber). Its trademark stone arch over the road marks the formal entrance to the pass. Once you cross under the arch you enter Tribal Areas popluated by the Afridi tribe. Pakistani law gives way to tribal law just after the gate.
More Reviews (10)
- No tourist trap
- Dress Code
- See All Taking a Local
- Hotel Nights
JohnniOmani's Related Pages
Peshawar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Peshawar to Kashgar, China,along the Karakoram Hig"
- "THE CITY OF THE SPIES...PESHAWAR"
- "One Day Trip to Peshawar"
- "Great Frontier Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peshawar
- Hotels in Peshawar
- Transportation in Peshawar
- Nightlife in Peshawar
- Restaurants in Peshawar
- Shopping in Peshawar
- Warnings and Dangers in Peshawar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peshawar
- 13 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Peshawar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peshawar
Photos in PeshawarSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oman Intro, 54 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 28 reviews, 13 photos
- New York City Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 22 reviews, 6 photos
- Tehran Intro, 18 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Middle East Intro, 18 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 21 reviews, 5 photos
- Iran Intro, 18 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 14 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peshawar Intro, 13 reviews, 6 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (8)
- Khyber Pass- 17 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Cunningham Clock Tower- 4 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Qissa Khawani Bazaar- 4 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Decorated Trucks- 4 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Masjid- 4 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Jamrud Fort- 3 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Peshawar Museum- 3 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Bala-Hisar Fort- 3 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Walled City - Old Peshawar- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Buddhist Stuppas- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
See All Peshawar Things to Do