"To See What We Can See" tarced's Profile
We enjoy traveling and stopped for a while because we thought it would be too hard to do with children. We've come up with a happy medium, though. Most of our activities are geared toward our children, but we do include things that would not hold their interest for long. We just make sure that these activities are surrounded by what appeals to them more and bring "quiet activities" for them, too. We usually find ways, though, to make it more exciting by doing some research to tell them stories about what we're seeing. As a result, our children love to travel and are always looking forward to our next trip!
The best thing about traveling is being able to do things that you can't do where you live. While we were in South Dakota, we went to the Mammoth Site, where our boys took part in a Junior Paleontologist program. They learned so much and because everything was "hands-on", it was so much fun for them!
We believe that traveling has given our children advantages in their schooling and development as well. They understand that other people don't have the same views and that they don't do the same things. They are interested in other places, other languages, and other cultures and love to see and experience new things. When we took them to Epcot, they loved going to the different "countries" and filling out their "passports". They were so excited to apply for their real ones!
Being a French teacher definitely has its advantages and its disadvantages. Since so many people think Spanish is easier to learn, I constantly have to "sell" my program to keep my job. One way that I sell my program is to take a trip to Europe every other year or so. I've been lucky enough to have my husband accompany us when I've gone - he is wonderfully supportive and helps me immensely with logistics, picture taking, and just someone to vent to when something doesn't go quite right.
Taking a group of teenagers to Europe presents a unique set of challenges and opportunities. On the one hand, it's truly amazing to take children who have never even been on a plane before to see things they've only seen in books and on tv. I get to watch them grow amazingly fast (especially for adolescents!) in a very short amount of time. I love to see their expressions when they first see the Eiffel Tower and their sense of accomplishment when they speak French to buy a stamp or telephone card. (Generally speaking, I have found the French to be wonderfully patient with my students while they practice their French - contrary to popular opinion!) One difficulty is that their parents have different rules for them than I do. All of a sudden, they have an 11:00 p.m. curfew and I expect them to eat breakfast - how unreasonable of me!
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 65 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 6 Countries
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Posted in Travel Portland Forum "Lobster Roll in late November"
- Commented on one of poohdetective's Seattle travel pages
- Wrote a Review Moped Menaces in Marrakesh Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Moped Menaces"
- created a Missouri Travel Page "A Week in Missouri"
updated their Profile Page "To See What We Can See"
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- South Dakota Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Keystone Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- De Smet Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Paris Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Mackinac Island Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- London Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Marrakesh 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Saint Louis Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Michigan Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
No friends yet.
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos