"Kiruna - the Lapp city" Kiruna by xantylaol
Kiruna Travel Guide: 177 reviews and 355 photos
Kiruna is the Lapp Capital and the mining Capital of Sweden. They also have the more or less famous Kebnekajse mountain nearby and the Ice Hotel in the nearby town Jukkasjärvi.
If you try and climb the Kebnekajse you should be aware that it is actually a looong daytrip to be able to make it in one day. You should check the ferryboat timetable before you go, consider lodging in the mountain lodge on the Kebnekajse moutainside, stick to the trail and wear an insect repellant - and you'll be fine :)
If you want more suggestions or ideas on what to do in or around Kiruna check out this link. It also contains some webcameras that let's you see what it looks right just now up there: http://kiruna.se/
One really cool attraction in this area is the world famous above mentioned Ice Hotel. See this link and make sure you click on the "Panoramabilder" to see pictures of what it looks like: http://www.icehotel.com/
They say the biggest Lapp church in the world is in Kiruna. It's modern and quite big and built solely in wood I believe.
- Pros:Especially the Ice Hotel makes Kiruna to an interesting place to go to
- Cons:The amount of insects can sometimes be disturbing during summer, especially outside the city
This hotel only exists during winter and melts away each spring/summer. They build it anew from scratch each winter!... more travel advice
xantylaol's Related Pages
Kiruna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City with Both Darkness and Light"
- "The Northest town of Sweden"
- "Dogsledding in Kiruna"
- "Above the Arctic Circle"
- "On top of Sweden"
- "Giron - mines, space and fun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kiruna
- Hotels in Kiruna
- Transportation in Kiruna
- Nightlife in Kiruna
- Restaurants in Kiruna
- Shopping in Kiruna
- Warnings and Dangers in Kiruna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kiruna
- 2 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Kiruna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kiruna
Top 10 Pages
- Oslo Intro, 60 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lom Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montevideo Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Natal Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Manaus Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Aguas Calientes - Machupicchu Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Kiruna Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Kiruna hotel reviews
- Yellow House
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotell Vinterpalatset
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Hotel Arctic Eden
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Scandic Ferrum Kiruna
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Ditt Hotell Jaernvaegshotellet
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2012