"Co. Donegal...One of my Favorite Places in Ireland" Top 5 Page for this destination County Donegal by ladyanne

County Donegal Travel Guide: 268 reviews and 769 photos

Co. Donegal

Myself and three other woman friends rented a typical Irish Cottage on Lock Muck in Fintown, Co. Donegal near the Blue Stack Mountains in February of 2001.

It is a very remote area and we made the mistake of visiting and staying in that part of Ireland during the wrong time of year. It was very cold and damp, which might have been okay if you were staying in a B&B or Hotel, but the cottage was brutally cold. It took forever to get the turf fires going and keep them going since we went out touring during the day.
I especially enjoyed visiting Rathmullen, it was charming and I think a new up and coming area for people to live. It still has been able to stay away from the Celtic Tiger. Dunfanaghy was interesting, with the Old Work House to visit. I loved the stone fences at the Bloody Foreland but it somehow did not touch me like I thought it would. Burtonport seemed a bit shabby, but a very real seaport town. Glencolumbkille will always be a special place to me. The Stations of the Cross made with amazing Stone formations is a spiritual experience. St. Columcille, the monk who brought Christianity back to the European mainland.

Don't get me wrong we did have a great time and it is a beautiful area, but don't go off season, unless you are just passing through.

I love Donegal and had visited there in April of 1996. It was gorgeous that time of year, the gorse blooming everywhere. We spent much time on Inishowen around Malin Head. Loved it. So remote and barren. The people were lovely.

My favorites are Glencolumkille, Malin Beg Point, Slieve League Mountain (a great easy climb), the view before Killybegs on N56 is still one of my favorite in all of Ireland overlooking McSwynes Bay. Chrohy Head near Dungloe is also very beautiful. The bogs in certain areas are amazing. I also liked Ardara for a town. Lots of TWEED.

• Pros:Donegal is somewhat cut off from the rest of Ireland, so it is an effort to get there. Well worth it. It won't disappoint you.
  • Cons:A little harder to find good places to eat. Changing fast with too many holiday houses.
  • In a nutshell:A place you have to go back to no matter how many times you visit!!!
  • Last visit to County Donegal: Feb 2001
  • Intro Updated May 29, 2005

• lee.evelyn's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2008 at 6:43 AM

Great Page and beautiful photos! The house at Lough Muck on your picture has been bought by people who stay there all year round. They get snowed in in winter!

• popeye1250's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Hiya, nice pic! It was sunny when I was there. I stayed in Teelin and met the members of "Altan" in their pub "Cul A Duin" there after my hike! I always go to Donegal, grandparents were from there and I have citizenship.

• ani10881's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Thanks for the great tips, I wanna check it out now!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2006 at 10:18 AM

great page!

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2006 at 1:06 PM

lovely opening pic of glencolumbkille... i only sat there waiting for the bus! missed a lot, it seems!!!

• highlandlaura's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2006 at 7:38 AM

Love your narrative and photos. Will use as a reference next trip to Donegal. I, too, love stones. Thanks.

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2006 at 11:59 AM

Your Ireland ramblings far exceed those of the average tourist only going to Kerry. Great Donegal tips, too bad (or maybe not that bad at all?) fewer people make it up there

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2005 at 1:01 PM

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip in spite of the cold! Your photos of the scenery are great, Deborah!

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2005 at 7:57 AM

If you are ever in Donegal again, I highly recommend a trip to the Giant's Causeway. Although relatively touristed, if would be a great stop for someone who "loves stones"!

• Aug 16, 2005 at 8:25 PM

Great pages on County Donegal. I have enjoyed them all.

ladyanne

“Go Ireland or Bust”

Badges & Stats in County Donegal

Have you been to County Donegal?