"Co. Donegal...One of my Favorite Places in Ireland" Top 5 Page for this destination County Donegal by ladyanne
County Donegal Travel Guide: 268 reviews and 769 photos
Myself and three other woman friends rented a typical Irish Cottage on Lock Muck in Fintown, Co. Donegal near the Blue Stack Mountains in February of 2001.
It is a very remote area and we made the mistake of visiting and staying in that part of Ireland during the wrong time of year. It was very cold and damp, which might have been okay if you were staying in a B&B or Hotel, but the cottage was brutally cold. It took forever to get the turf fires going and keep them going since we went out touring during the day.
I especially enjoyed visiting Rathmullen, it was charming and I think a new up and coming area for people to live. It still has been able to stay away from the Celtic Tiger. Dunfanaghy was interesting, with the Old Work House to visit. I loved the stone fences at the Bloody Foreland but it somehow did not touch me like I thought it would. Burtonport seemed a bit shabby, but a very real seaport town. Glencolumbkille will always be a special place to me. The Stations of the Cross made with amazing Stone formations is a spiritual experience. St. Columcille, the monk who brought Christianity back to the European mainland.
Don't get me wrong we did have a great time and it is a beautiful area, but don't go off season, unless you are just passing through.
I love Donegal and had visited there in April of 1996. It was gorgeous that time of year, the gorse blooming everywhere. We spent much time on Inishowen around Malin Head. Loved it. So remote and barren. The people were lovely.
My favorites are Glencolumkille, Malin Beg Point, Slieve League Mountain (a great easy climb), the view before Killybegs on N56 is still one of my favorite in all of Ireland overlooking McSwynes Bay. Chrohy Head near Dungloe is also very beautiful. The bogs in certain areas are amazing. I also liked Ardara for a town. Lots of TWEED.
- Pros:Donegal is somewhat cut off from the rest of Ireland, so it is an effort to get there. Well worth it. It won't disappoint you.
- Cons:A little harder to find good places to eat. Changing fast with too many holiday houses.
- In a nutshell:A place you have to go back to no matter how many times you visit!!!
A trip to Ardara for the day is a nice outing especially if it is rainning and damp and cold. A pretty small village... more travel advice
I would highly recommend if you want to really experience County Donegal that you make arrangements for a self-catering... more travel advice
ladyanne's Related Pages
County Donegal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dear Old Donegal"
- "Co. Donegal...One of my Favorite Places in Ireland"
- "Sunshine in Donegal"
- "County Donegal beauty"
- "Donegal - A rugged beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in County Donegal
- Hotels in County Donegal
- Transportation in County Donegal
- Nightlife in County Donegal
- Restaurants in County Donegal
- Shopping in County Donegal
- Warnings and Dangers in County Donegal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in County Donegal
- 20 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to County Donegal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in County Donegal
- Posted in Travel Maine Forum "RE: where to get fresh caught..."
- Wrote a Review Ardara..Woolen Mills and Shops. Pretty Village. in County Donegal Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ardara..Woolen Mills and Shops. Pretty Village."
- Commented on one of Krumel's County Donegal travel pages
- created a County Donegal Travelogue "Ireland 2001"
Top 10 Pages
- Ireland Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- County Kerry Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rockland Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination County Donegal Intro, 15 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portland Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cooperstown Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Park City Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donegal Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos