"Antelope Island, Utah..remote and barren beauty." Antelope Island by ladyanne
Antelope Island Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 43 photos
Antelope Island was an amazing and un-expected pleasure of great beauty and wonder. It is located north of Salt Lake City, Utah in Syracuse. It is also situated in the Great Salt Lake and can be reached by a seven mile long causeway that runs straight and narrow with the lake very close on both sides.
The island itself is the largest and offers camping, wildlife viewing, sailing, swimming, picnicking, hiking, horseback riding, and mountain biking. It is also home of free roaming herds of bison, bighorn sheep, mule deer and antelope. It also has spectacular views of the Great Salt Lake itself, the Wasatch Mountains, and Salt Lake Valley.
It is 28,022 acres and is 15 miles long and 4.5 miles across. Besides the prehistoric people who live on it 6,000 years ago, the first Anglo's to discover it was Kit Carson and John Fremont in 1845. It is now a State Park of Utah.
The Great Salt Lake does not drain but the water evaporates, this causes high concentration of minerals and the salt content is 4 to 28 percent, compared to the oceans at 3 percent. It cannot support fish or other aquatic species, only brine shrimp, brine flies and some algae, which are the main source of food for millions of migrating birds. It is the most important resource for North American migratory and nesting birds.
Antelope Island is open year round and hours vary according to season. We were there in Janurary and it closed around 5:00 pm. It was snowy and foggy and we could not see past the edge of the lake, but it made for a hauntingly beautiful landscape of muted colors, the herds of bison were dark silouettes with the snow sticking to their backs. It gave them a "ghost-like" appearance. So beautiful to see these almost ancient animals in their wild and natural habitat.
Wonderful sculpture of Bison with story of American Indian hunt cared through his side. Notice the color of sky and landscape....steel grey, with winter snow and fog. Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake, Utah.
I can't imagine a better place to hike or bike than on Antelope Island, you are surrounded by a combination of desert... more travel advice
ladyanne's Related Pages
Antelope Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Antelope Island"
- "Antelope Island, Utah..remote and barren beauty."
- "Antelope Island - Utah"
- "ANTELOPE ISLAND & THE GREAT SALT LAKE"
- "Antelope Island State Park"
- "Antelope Island"
- "Antelope Island, Great Salt Lake, Utah"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antelope Island
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Antelope Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antelope Island
Photos in Antelope IslandSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Ireland Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- County Kerry Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rockland Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination County Donegal Intro, 15 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portland Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cooperstown Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Park City Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donegal Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos