"Rockland, Maine..Seacoast Town..Boats and Lobsters" Rockland by ladyanne
Rockland Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 58 photos
Rockland is my second favorite seacoast town. Portland being my first.
Most people know it for it's Huge "Lobster Festival" in August.
I know it for it is where my brother docks his sailboat in the Rockland Bay.
Rockland was an important port in the early days of shipping of exporting and importing. It is here that they sent the limestone out, baking and processing it in huge ovens before putting it on the ships. Limestone was a dangerous item, often exploding at sea. Also shipped Maine granite and other products.
I like Rockland because it has not given over to the "touristy" income only...but has maintained it's historical charm. The "Wyeth" Museum is here displaying N.C., Andrew and Jamie Wyeth's paintings and other seacoast artists.
Lots of shops, cafe's and bookstores. Artsy but all Maine.
The Main Street is still in it's original historic state, plus many shops, restaurants, and cafes without becoming to touristy.
- Pros:Seaport Town, Original Historical Charm
- Cons:traffic...one way streets.
- In a nutshell:Home of the Maine Lobster Fest!!!! Every August.
This is the car ferry that runs back and forth to Monhegan Island, Maine, one of the most important islands in Maine... more travel advice
This Maine lighthouse is called the Breakwater Lighthouse, it is on a breakwater walkway that is open to the public and... more travel advice
ladyanne's Related Pages
Rockland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rockland Celebrates The Lobster"
- "AnitaJRT's Rockland Maine -- Schooner Adventure"
- "Rockland, Maine..Seacoast Town..Boats and Lobsters"
- "Rockland - Port for Windjammer Schooners"
- "Rockland, Maine - Gateway to Penobscot Bay"
- "Basaic Rockland Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rockland
- Hotels in Rockland
- Transportation in Rockland
- Nightlife in Rockland
- Restaurants in Rockland
- Shopping in Rockland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rockland
- 17 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Rockland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rockland
- Posted in Travel Maine Forum "RE: where to get fresh caught..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sailing on the "Chance A'long" w/ my brother Peter"
- created a Rockland Travelogue "Sailing on the "Chance A'long" w/ my brother Peter"
- Wrote a Review Ferry to Monhegan Island, Penobscot Bay, Maine in Rockland Things to Do
Photos in RocklandSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Ireland Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- County Kerry Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rockland Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination County Donegal Intro, 15 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portland Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cooperstown Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Park City Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donegal Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos